• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Hopefully D&D 4E will give us feats every level . . .

Ds Da Man

First Post
Pbartender said:
No it doesn't, because without Quick Draw, you still cannot draw a weapon and make a full attack in a single round. It also allows you to make a full attack with thrown weapons. Plus, it allows you to drop one weapon (like a longspear) and draw a second weapon (like a longbow or a longsword) in the midst of a full round action. Lastly, it allows to you to draw a concealed (hidden) weapon as a move equivalent action, instead of a standard action.

Quick Draw is a very useful feat, especially for Rogues with high Sneak Attack bonuses.

I was kinda implying that it's not really a realistic feat, and I would think a fighter who makes a living fighting, would be quite capable of moving, drawing, attacking, dropping and attacking with another weapon. Rulewise, yeah, it fits with stratigic minatures system of D&D. Storywise, I could see this applying to a gunslinger type rogue, tossing daggers at a blistering rate of speed, or even a rogue who pulls the dagger out quick enough to stab, without the opponet even knowing what is going on. Just my opinion, and the way D&D is structured. :)

Azgulor

Adventurer
jezter6 said:
Oddly enough, I agree with Phil. It's extremely difficult to make a mid-level NPC do all the things you want him to do with the extremely limited number of feats you have. On the WotC modern board was a build for a pirate captain from d20 Past, all the feats needed to even be a remotely good swordfighter were there, yet someone pointed out (rightfully so) that the guy had absolutely nothing about him that would make him a good leader (no charismatic abilities or feats), which would be needed to keep control over your crew. The only way to get someone to have both of those abilities (being both a good captain and a good pirate) would be to keep cranking up levels and then making him not balanced with the game they were trying to play.

There are about a billion feats out there thanks to 3rd party publishers and every wotc option book, but since you can only take about 10-12 of them over a campaign that can take years, you face some really difficult choices on where to spend the limited amount of precious feats you have, and in some cases it takes quite a few of them to build up only one side of a character.

Making all the combat feats available every level (or other level) would likely make some serious combat monsters, but limiting it to some sort of bonus feat list would definately curb that.

Since your example is specifically addressed by the Pirate class in Conan OGL (as a counter-example), I think you've unintentionally made a compelling argument for additional character classes. The D&D core classes can simulate most archetypes, but not all of them well. (e.g. Pirate, Duelist, etc.)

Remove ads