• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Hopefully D&D 4E will give us feats every level . . .

Crothian

First Post
mythusmage said:
Ever notice how many feats are really tricks or knacks anybody can pick up inside of five minutes?

IF you go that route then each character has 30 pages of options they can do but will never rember becasue there are two many. What they need is many of them combined together to make feats that area little more powerful and versatile so people might actually take them.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
"There are many ways you can use your spear in battle. Some don't do as much damage as others, and some are harder to do than others, but you are not limited to poking folks with the pointy end.

"Start thinking of your spear as a quarterstaff with a spike and you'll start getting some idea of what you can do with the weapon."

:p

woodelf

First Post
mattcolville said:
There's an easy way to do this now, and it fixes a problem.

If, every level, you get a Feat Point, and some feats cost more than one point, then you could have lots of smaller feats, or a few awesome feats. For instance; improved initiative is useful in every combat, which means virtually every session of every game. Whereas Alertness is only useful now and then. Make ALertness a 1 Point Feat, and Improved Initiative a 3 point feat. Characters get three feat points at 1st level, and an additional feat point every level after that.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but why would Improved Initiative be worth 3pts? You're more likely to go first in the 1st round, but after that, you're no better off than anyone else. It's always seemed like one of the least-worthwhile feats to me.

woodelf

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Mayhap Monte and Mike's new book will quench your thirst.

But, in stock D&D, I think you might end up with everyone looking the same. The same feats already get taken over and over again -- I don't know that having more feats would change that. Plus, you'd have to find something to give the fighters to differentiate them, and also deal with power creep.

Feats are fun, though.

People keep talking about everybody taking the same feats. Maybe, with the relatively narrow selection in D&D3[.5]E--though the only feats that were consistently taken in our D&D3E game were by characters going for the same niche/schtick. The closest to an "everybody wants it" feat, IME, was Point Blank Shot. And, even then, none of the spellcasters, and some of the warriors didn't take it (my char, frex, didn't really do ranged combat).

But with Arcana Unearthed, even given more feats per character, i don't think we'd see much overlap. Heck, i've got two characters both going for the stealthy agile light-fighter archetype, and i don't think they've picked a single feat the same. And these are characters that keep stepping on each others' niches, to the degree that it worries me as a GM.

Anyway, other than screwing up the relationship between ECL and CR, i don't see any problem with increasing the frequency with which feats are gained. And with a system for actually calculating ECL and CR, like i gather Grim Tales has, that would become a non-issue.

I do like the idea of providing a bit of structure to the feats gained, however, in this case. In addition to possibly splitting feats gained according to type (combat/skill/social, perhaps), another possibility that comes to mind is splitting them according to prereqs. So, at odd levels you can only take feats without prereqs, while at even levels you can only take feats that built on your existing feats. My thought is that this might balance deversification and specialization, forcing some of the former and allowing some of the latter, but limiting hyperspecialization that can make balance tricky to maintain, and limiting hyperdiversification, which can make niche protection difficult. I haven't actually looked at how many feats do or don't have prereqs, and it might need some adjusting of feats.

Another quick thought: you might need to increase prereqs for some feats. Any feat that has lots of feat prereqs, but few level-dependent prereqs (like skill ranks or BAB) would now be available at much lower levels, which might not be desireable.

Oh, and on fighters (and other classes with bonus feats): so what? They still get more feats than anyone else, even if everyone gets more feats in total.

Ds Da Man

First Post
mythusmage said:
Ever notice how many feats are really tricks or knacks anybody can pick up inside of five minutes?

Yeah, like quick draw. Your telling me a person couldn't draw a weapon, while moving, and make an attack (or series of attacks in 6 seconds)? But I understand the stratigic side of it. Just seems kinda funky. Maybe it should have been more for a gunslinger/knifeslinger type.

Oh well, rules as written!

Staffan

Legend
woodelf said:
The closest to an "everybody wants it" feat, IME, was Point Blank Shot. And, even then, none of the spellcasters, and some of the warriors didn't take it (my char, frex, didn't really do ranged combat).
My first 3e character was a wizard with point-blank shot and precise shot. Made him pretty useful at low levels, since he could plonk away pretty well with his crossbow once his spells were used up.

Staffan

Legend
Ds Da Man said:
Yeah, like quick draw. Your telling me a person couldn't draw a weapon, while moving, and make an attack (or series of attacks in 6 seconds)? But I understand the stratigic side of it. Just seems kinda funky. Maybe it should have been more for a gunslinger/knifeslinger type.
If you have the slightest amount of combat training (i.e. BAB +1), you can draw a weapon while moving - but not when taking just any move action, only while actually moving. So you can move up to someone while drawing a weapon, and then smack them.

Psion

Adventurer
I don't think it would be a good idea to give feats every level ON TOP OF class abilities.

But I do think that d20 modern (and grim tales) has a good model: get a feat or class ability every level.

Remove ads