• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Hide in 3.5

iwatt

First Post
Maybe you can house rule it to:

No cover -10
1/4 -5
1/2 0
3/4 +5
9/10 +10

Of course a -10 penalty is nothing when you have those rogues going around with +40 to their hide skills.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
With the dumbing down of concealment, how will that affect spells that use it? For instance, Net of Shadows from FR would grant 9/10ths concealment (40% miss chance) on the target and from the target attacking 5' away. Also, depending on the thickness of the forest, you would get different concealment modifiers.

CapnZapp

Legend
In games where the player of the rogue could just say he's hiding and with a successful Hide check do so, with his DM having no say in the matter "because its not in the rules", yes, this change is a nerf.

But for the rest of us, it's a long awaited and welcome change!! Sheesh...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
You don't have facing in combat, since you are aware of danger and are assumed to be looking around constantly.

Outside of combat, nothing prevents you from sneaking up behind someone (although I would give them some heft spot bonuses as you approach if they are not within one move of your place of concealment).

LokiDR

First Post
Caliban said:
You don't have facing in combat, since you are aware of danger and are assumed to be looking around constantly.

Outside of combat, nothing prevents you from sneaking up behind someone (although I would give them some heft spot bonuses as you approach if they are not within one move of your place of concealment).

There is no facing, period. In or out of combat should not matter. This change specifically disallows you sneaking up on a person in the middle of a large, well lit room.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
LokiDR said:

There is no facing, period.

I'm afraid this isnt' entirely correct. The only time facing is discussed is in relation to combat. Outside of combat the DM is free to adjudicate it in whatever fashion makes the most sense.

In or out of combat should not matter.

Lack of facing should only "matter" in combat.

This change specifically disallows you sneaking up on a person in the middle of a large, well lit room.

I disagree, I don't think it disallows it at all.

Last edited:

Tellerve

I'm not sure where i read it but somewhere I read something, and it could have very well been a house rule, that if you were trying to sneak up on someone and hadn't been noticed yet and had more ranks in hide than feet left to the person your trying to surprise you sneak up on him.

So, i think if you use that you should be ok in terms of having someone sneak up on a guard. But maybe that's just me.

Tellerve

Illuminae

First Post
Lotsa thumbs up for this one!!

Finally I think I´ll no longer hear the rogue in the party saying only "I hide", not even bothering to say where, and when questioned about it by me, saying "Oh, the DM´s the one to know where might be a tree or something, you rules-lawyer!"(in a stone corridor :rolleyes: )

Bah, Im tired of lazy DM´s and players killing my suspension of disbelief!
GO 3.5!!!!!!

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I don't know what everyone is getting so worked up about, I mean think about all the times your going to "want to sneak up on somebody" and it almost always involves cover or concealment.

The rogue nudges the door open a bit quietly. He sees a guard in the room. He hides (door is cover), and then moves and sneak attacks.

A guard is watching at the front of a castle. The rogue is stationed behind a tree (cover), waits for the guard to move his head to the side, and rushes over and sneak attacks.

If you allow the move from hiding is still a sneak attack, then I don't see the problem.

Destil

Explorer
Aside from rampant speculation (which is always fun) it'll be interesting to see how this is accualy worded, as well as how things like awareness, suprise rounds and such have been changed...

Hopefully you can still sneak up on someone with a lightsource, but then you can't hide again hide again unless you get back into cover or concealment. As long as you can do that this change is fine. (Also as long as the wording isn't stupid, from what was posted it seams that someone with dark vision prevents you from even attempting to hide in shadows, even if you don't know that they have it or are there... So everyone just keep an invisible 6 year old dwarf around at all times along with that blind kobold in your backpack)

Of course with this new rule there was need for the rules to mess with blinsdight/blindsense so they simply trump hiding, the accual rules for thoes abilities should have simply interacted logically with the hiding rules... :mad:

Last edited:

Remove ads