• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance: Is it possible to run a Dragonlance game using the current core rules and material?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
erl you could use a 5th edition mechanic.
maybe if the moon is positive for you all spells you cast are treated as if you used a spell slot one level higer.
and if the moon is bad for you aply the same efect but negative so during a bad moon you would onlu fire 2 magic missiles instead of 3 using a 1st level slot.
I did think of that as well but since spells don't really scale down that well I'd probably go with one of the other two in my games.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
[MENTION=72670]Raunalyn[/MENTION] is doing it. [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] and I are players in his campaign. He's doing a pretty decent job! Not sure how much he's had to homebrew vs. just alter vs. use out of the book, but I don't think it's an unmanageable level of invention.

So, yes. Yes it is possible. It is being done, even!

Zardnaar

Legend
They mentioned that it would fit the rose knights specifically and that the paladin oath of the crown could fit sword or skull knights.

Thorn Knight= EK
Skull Knight= Paladin of the Crown
Knight of the Lily= Champion

Should some 5E subclasses be restricted to the various Knihgt Orders? Sturm was a fighter not a Knight for example.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thorn Knight= EK

Skull Knight= Paladin of the Crown

Knight of the Lily= Champion

Should some 5E subclasses be restricted to the various Knihgt Orders? Sturm was a fighter not a Knight for example.

That last bit shows it's doable, as the original modules were 1E core only.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I'm thinking to keep the game around the time of the Heroes of the Lance so it will just be the three orders of Knights.

I'm trying to come up with different stats for DL Hobgoblins because they aren't like the ones from the MM.

I'm trying to come up with a mechanic that will allow fairness between the different colour robes. I was maybe thinking about rolling a random dice every day to see which moon will be in phase.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I'm having trouble understanding the question. Could someone give me an example of a thing that could conceivably prevent you from running anything you wanted that was sort of fantasy-setting-ish with the rules and material? Obviously, you might have to add material for a setting, but that's sort of common to pretty much every setting.
Are you familiar with Dragonlance?

Corpsetaker

First Post
What about adding something special with regards to concentration when your particular moon is in phase? There could be some kind of bonus to concentration when you cast spells of your order.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Let me have a look at my Dragonlance modules... Raistlin is a wizard... Sturm is a fighter... Goldmoon is a cleric... Tas is a thief... mh... you could do this with just the Basic Rules! Knights of Solamnia, wizards of the (insert color) robes, and cleric of the order of the stars are just titles. No need to tie a class to it. Who's to say that my Ranger is not a knight?
Because the Dragonlance setting is a lot more than what you have above. It has elements that are unique to the setting that make it different from the other settings. Rangers do not fit the Knights for example.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The moons thing could be difficult to track with long travels, moonless nights or underground adventures. For the mages, I've two ideas that may work, but its been a while since I opened a DL book.

1) There's no cleric in your game. Mages use the Theurge from UA, but use different Domain for the level 2 feature. Black robes could be Theurges of the Death Domain, Red robes the Trickery Domain and White robes the Light domain. This favors the fact that in DL, the mages seems to draw power from a divine entity, blurring the lines between mages and cleric. True cleric like Goldmoon could be Favored Souls (UA) with different domains.

2) I second the warlock ideas. Lunitari, Nuitari and Solinari are all mentioned as being ''patrons'' of the different orders. I would remove the Blade boon, keeping Tome, Chain and Star chain.
Lunitari: Seeker (UA) pact
Solinari: Undying light (UA) pact
Nuitari: Undying (SCAG) pact

There has been a bit of home-brewing in my campaign; the knights in particular are taking some finagling. I think that if I were to run a new campaign in DL, I'll likely change the Knighthood considerably.

The Orders of Sorcery are surprisingly simple to implement; High Sanction, you can cast your spells as if you were one level higher (though, you don't get to learn spells that you can't normally cast...just that you can cast your current spells at a higher level), and Low Sanction is one level lower. Done...

Clerics domains are already defined in the PhB, but I would probably look at changing one or two of them (Paladine uses War as a domain...I think he should have access to Light as well).

Most of your classes other than those listed above can be run as is, though I would make sure to play up the restriction for arcane spellcasters who are not Wizards and who refuse to take the Test.

Kender can easily be converted from Halflings if you want to go that route, or you can use the UA kender...your choice.

Thematically, all of the elements of 5e work well in Dragonlance, though...not extremely difficult to run it.

Draconians took some homebrewing...I have all 5 of the standard Draconians converted here on the site.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads