• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance: Is it possible to run a Dragonlance game using the current core rules and material?

Write an adventure. Might be hardish to 'split the party' but give the wizard like...3-5 encounters during the test while the rest of the party solves a small mystery in the tower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Towers allow the mage to take companions with him with the knowledge that they could also die during the test. This is canonical.

Actually it works really well as a background. You could home brew a class but it doesn't have to be that way. If I did it as a background though I would probably create some feats for Knights of the Rose to take. If the campaign takes place after the God's return (or before they left) then a Paladin works well for Knights of the Sword.

Why do you think that they have to have their own class?

They work well as both a background (Noble Knight) and a faction

Patrick McGill

First Post
I ran the first two modules of Dragonlance during the playtest with no problems whatsoever. A lot of what is unique about Dragon Lance is fluff, theme, and how people role play.

Granted, I rolled the Heroes of the Lance myself and used them as pregens (how the module is meant to be run). Sturm, Tanis, Flint, Caramon, and Tika were all fighters. Tas was of course a thief. Riverwind I decided to do Fighter/Ranger, Goldmoon was pure cleric, and Raistlin was a wizard.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
How would you handle "the Test"?
The three tests would be different to make use of the wizard's wits as well as his magic either alone or with the involvement of loved ally or feared enemy.

Challenges such as Arcane contests, spell duel battles, formulas deciphering, astrology studies, rune scribing, concentration endurance testing, wisdom's self-control etc...

Yan
D&D Playtester

The three tests would be different to make use of the wizard's wits as well as his magic either alone or with the involvement of loved ally or feared enemy.

Challenges such as Arcane contests, spell duel battles, formulas deciphering, astrology studies, rune scribing, concentration endurance testing, wisdom's self-control etc...

Yan
D&D Playtester

It's also an assessment of ambition, too. The way I like to play it is that you try to come up with 3 different magic items that vary in power (from weakest to greatest), then envision the scenarios with how ambitious the player is. If the player likes to play it safe, then the test is a bit simpler...still potentially deadly, but not a terribly harrowing experience. Their reward will be a simple magic item that doesn't contain a great deal of power.

If, however, they are extremely ambitious, then the scenario is quite difficult, and their reward will be significant.

I try to play up to the player's ingenuity and provide them with the proper reward according to the risks they are taking.

Another thing to think of with playing DL is whether you want to follow the books (which were closer to core AD&D) or use one of the published books as your base. I used the novels as my reference (Chronicles and Legends, as that was all I'd read), it cuts out a lot of things that are rules in the AD&D DL rulebooks. Added things too, like exhaustion for Magic Users, to me a iconic part of DL.

Uchawi

First Post
With 5e you lose the high magic of previous spells, but overall it is still plausible. I ran a campaign for 2 years using GURPS and dragon lance. And GURPS is low magic in comparison.

Remove ads