(Discussion) General Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpdx

Explorer
Creamsteak said:
Also, something that I havn't discussed before but I've thought on quite a bit:

If our world is a continent, then we could have islands as well. This would actually fit pretty well with the questions about a method for altering the setting. If there are other, much smaller, worlds like our setting floating about in space, it makes it possible for these masses to interact with the continent. Sometimes they are hundreds of miles away, but you could theoretically teleport to them. Other times, they even touch down on the continents surface.

I think this is an interesting mechanic, not completely unlike planes of existence, and I like it. Maybe this is a worthy bit to think about?
For islands we need water around the continents. Islands = good idea, but it would require map adjustment.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I meant "space islands", but water could act as a landing spot of sorts, since it's not as ground-shatering as having a big floating island land in the middle of the desert.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Sparky said:
My sincerest apologies to you and the now-slandered-Gnomeworks. ;)

Meh, this isn't the first time that's happened here... somebody attributed the Mortalists to me a while back, when they're actually KB's creation. I don't know why people keep saying I've worked on things I haven't... :)

About the islands - there is one small problem with that... what happens if somebody gets stranded on one when it's no longer touching Enworld/near enough for teleportation? While that would be an interesting adventure, I don't know if it would be feasible...

Also - just so that any would-be DMs out there are aware, Troi is probably going to head after Zidaniel either after this adventure ends, or possibly have one more after this one before he does so. I'm planning on it being Troi out on his own, so if there's anybody willing to run that when the time comes, I'd be very appreciative. :)

dpdx

Explorer
Creamsteak said:
I meant "space islands", but water could act as a landing spot of sorts, since it's not as ground-shatering as having a big floating island land in the middle of the desert.
Great, can my PC arrange to be directly underneath one when this happens? I's thinking of rerolling one.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
dpdx said:
Great, can my PC arrange to be directly underneath one when this happens? I's thinking of rerolling one.

So?

Could you please explain why this would be a bad thing? I have a feeling that most people here are decent RP'ers, and wouldn't do this unless they had a darn good reason, so I don't exactly see why this is an issue...

WizWrm

First Post
What dpdx means is this: he doesn't trust the LEW community, as individuals, with a rule that would allow recreation of dead characters at the same level, because he feels players would intentionally kill their own characters so they can make one they'd rather play.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Hmm... but who would play a character for so long as to get up to levels where that would be worthwhile, just to kill it to trade it in for something else? I mean, even min/maxers get attached to characters...

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
dpdx said:

HEY NOW! I happen to like Rurik...
Make a second PC if you like, but leave the Dwarf-Slayin' to me.

Off-Topic: I am at work right now, on the comps here. My Comp seems to have come down with something...my IE browser wont load, or,more accurately, it loads and instantly disappears. I grabbed a copy of Mozilla here to take home, try to go to download.com and get a fix/viral killer...

Anyways, I don't know when I can next get online.
I can log and update thuesday at work between flirting with Goth girls, that is...

Can any of you in the other forum games with me, please let folks know...

-Ron/Uriel

dpdx

Explorer
Gnomeworks said:
So?

Could you please explain why this would be a bad thing? I have a feeling that most people here are decent RP'ers, and wouldn't do this unless they had a darn good reason, so I don't exactly see why this is an issue...
I don't think I said that it would be a bad thing, did I? So I'm afraid I don't have a ready answer for your question. It's just... cataclysmic and unusual. Not that that's bad.

And as for this:

WizWrm said:
What dpdx means is this: he doesn't trust the LEW community, as individuals, with a rule that would allow recreation of dead characters at the same level, because he feels players would intentionally kill their own characters so they can make one they'd rather play.
Not exactly: I seriously don't trust me with that rule. I might already be tired of Rurik, so I know I'd abuse the hell out of it the minute I made yet another wrong feat choice, for one. Your mileage may vary. So that ain't it.

Which leaves us with:

Uriel said:
HEY NOW! I happen to like Rurik... Make a second PC if you like, but leave the Dwarf-Slayin' to me.
Thanks, I'm only running one at a time, and I'm counting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads