• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Candara : OOC Thread

Jemal

Adventurer
1. Creamsteak : Seeing as how you've had it worked into your storyline all the time, I'll let you start with 1 (ONE!) Of the swords. The other will be something you have to quest for. Possibly stolen by the evil emporer Druegellyn (Kudos to Uriel for the name)

As for the spells, how's this : For every school you give up, you can take one "Domain" as if you were a cleric, and use those domain spells instead

(Ie get rid of Necromancy but take the Plant Domain so for 1st level spells you'ld loose cause fear, chill touch, and ray of enfeeblement, but gain Entangle to your class spell-list.

Yes, this is extemely restrictive, b/c it involves going outside the norm for your class (It's almost like multiclassing, but not quite).
Sorry that's about the best I can do. If It's not good enough, I'ld suggest another character concept.

2. I don't currently have a scanner to put the map on, but I'll do my best to describe it.

The continent of Rekbar is roughly shaped like an irregular circle. It's hard to describe the kingdoms, so I'll just put below which kingdoms border which other kingdoms.

Kelt Imperium : Borders on Candara and the Wasteland
Wasteland : Borders on all.
Extoria : Borders on the Wasteland and Realms of Ukko.
Realms of Ukko : Borders on the Wasteland, Extoria, and candara
Candara : Borders on the Wasteland, Realms of Ukko, and Kelt Imperium.

I'm working on PAINT to try to do a rough map. I'll edit this to add it when I figure it out.

3. Political stucture. I think I posted that a few posts up. The Kelt Imperium is a magocracy led by a LE Emporer.

4. As to Upgrading items, it's straight from the DMG : Page 246, the last paragraph before the appendix (Many people miss it)

(DISCLAIMER : This is not the exact wording. To write the exact wording without permission would be illegal, so I paraphrase. For exact wording, READ THE BOOK)

You can add new magical abilities to any magical item without restrictions. Cost is the same as if the item was not magical. IE. a +1 Buckler can be transformed into a +3 Buckler, with the cost being the same as if you were buying/making a +3 buckler, Minus the cost of buying/making a +1 buckler. (+1 buckler costs 1,165. +3 buckler costs 9,165. SO, to go from the +1 to the +3 buckler, would cost 9,165-1,165= 8,000 GP)
This also works for other items when adding extra abilities or combining the abilities of multiple items. If the item is one that takes up a specific space on a character Ring, Helm, Gloves, etc. additional powers are added at double the cost.
IE. You could start off with boots of striding + Springing (2,500GP) and later get them further enchated to make them "Boots of Striding, Springing, and Elvenkind", for 4,000 GP (Boots of Elvenkind cost 2,000. 2000 X 2 = 4,000)

Get it? got it? Good, now GO WILD!!!
Can anyone say "Gloves of dexterity and strength +2"?
(Cost = 4,000 initially, and another 8,000 later for the upgrade.)

Just one thing - Don't try to take the same ability twice (I.E. ring of climbing + climbing), b/c it's still the same "TYPE" of bonus, and won't stack with itself.

drs

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
So I did... sorry about that. I'd be glad to play your cohort. By a good fit d'you mean that I should design my minstrel/spy, or did you have something else in mind?
I meant that you can design your minstrel/spy character, though I'm leaving it up to you, make whatever! I don't mind.
Edit: Just try and do so post haste so that we can start IC asap :).

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Political stucture. I think I posted that a few posts up. The Kelt Imperium is a magocracy led by a LE Emporer.

I mean more specifically, what type of political structure is it? It's obviously a dictatorship, but is it a parliamentary one? Can I, for example, oust the person in charge of taxation if I could convince the emporer that this person has been setting aside tax exemptions for widowed wives, and taxing merchants more to make up for it? Since it's lawful evil I was figuring the best course of action to bring about demise of their plans would be to usurp the chain of command by disuading their confidence, pointing out the non-lawful acts of certain individuals. Being a political manipulator as it is...

1. Creamsteak : Seeing as how you've had it worked into your storyline all the time, I'll let you start with 1 (ONE!) Of the swords. The other will be something you have to quest for. Possibly stolen by the evil emporer Druegellyn (Kudos to Uriel for the name)

This is what I was going for all along. I was, earlier, attempting to get you to raise the bar on the cost restrictions for a single item, so I could purchase an Adamantium Bastard Sword (9335). I'll pay the cost out of my resources right out, no questions asked. I had all intentions of recovering the Firebrand from the enemy from the beginning, as they should have it, and should want to use it.

As for the spells, how's this : For every school you give up, you can take one "Domain" as if you were a cleric, and use those domain spells instead

(Ie get rid of Necromancy but take the Plant Domain so for 1st level spells you'ld loose cause fear, chill touch, and ray of enfeeblement, but gain Entangle to your class spell-list.

That's fine, I'm actually quite interested in restricting my spells. My character isn't really all that much of an Arcane Caster as much as a Magically Gifted Individual. Though, currently, I'm considering the bard class instead of mixing fighter/sorcerer because it might be able to accomodate my character. I kinda don't want to do that, but then again I do. Bard's have "music" which is not my character's forte, but acting is... and as well, my character could make more use out of the Bard's class skills.

I'll have it done later today, most likely.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Do we have a Rogues Gallery Yet? I finished character construction, I'm going Bard 6. I've got a pretty good mix that way, and the only thing I havn't picked out yet is an "Instrument" for some of the spells that require it. I've got 126 Platinum left to spend on miscilenious gear that I need (clothes, food, drink) and I'm curious as to how those things are being dealt with. I bought my first outfit (entertainer's), but without a Home yet, there's not much I can carry around with me and my 79 pounds of armor and gear.

Anyway, if you havn't created a Rogues Gallery thread yet (speaking to Jemal), just go to that forum and make something along the lines of:

Intrigue In Candara: Characters and Creatures

and I'll post my permanent character to it (it would be a lengthy space taker to put it in this thread).

drs

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
Character by firday evening (EST, if it matters) followed immediatly by post on IC thread....
Good stuff, if you want me to change any of the conversation that I wrote up between you and me in the IC thread don't hesitate!

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
I'll take you up on that- your half of the conversation is fine, but methinks my character would be a bit more confident than that. :) Like I said, I'll post tomorrow... must finish paper....:eek:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Creamsteak, seeing as your character is an Actor, and one of the Guises of mine is as well, as seeing as how we both seek the downfall of the Keltish Emperor (are you Keltish?), it seems likely that we could know one another at games beginning. Your thoughts?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads