• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic D&D: Did it hook you?

Did you start playing RPGs because of Basic D&D or a basic RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 112 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 19.4%

EricNoah

Adventurer
Blue box for me, introduced by my older brother. We didn't stay with it long, we went to AD&D fairly shortly after that. But then my brother moved away and took his stuff. I ended up going to the ... I want to say ... Basic/Expert sets for a good long time until I got the AD&D books for mysef.

Waylander

The Slayer
TerraDave said:
It all started with this...

BasicDND.jpg

Me too!

Ampolitor

Explorer
Star Frontiers

Yep the old red box for me then I went to STAR FRONTIERS, AH my butt kicking Yazarian character. Now how cool was that game, almost as cool as Gamma World!

mhensley

First Post
blue box for me

I've always loved basic much more than advanced. And the sample dungeon in the blue book will always be my fav.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Delta said:
I think that far and away the worst ongoing strategic choice TSR/WOTC has made for 20 years now is to not have a concise, totally compatible, full-character-creation basic set for D&D. (Maybe that's impossible under the current ruleset. If so, it should be so fixed.)

Right. The Basic D&D as a board game approch may make it a little easier to learn, but also defeats the whole purpose. Kids get into it not becuase its another board game, but becuase it is better then a board game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads