• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Basic D&D: Did it hook you?

Did you start playing RPGs because of Basic D&D or a basic RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 112 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 19.4%

S'mon

Legend
My intro to RPGs was the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, Fighting Fantasy introductory RPG, then 1e AD&D - DMG & MM purchased for £5 each from a fellow schoolboy. I never had much to do with Basic D&D until recently.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
It all started with this...

BasicDND.jpg

bento

Explorer
D&D hooked me for a couple of years, but I then jumped into other games. I was always "stuck" being the DM for players who expected the game to always go their way. In high school and college I really enjoyed Marvel Super-Heroes from TSR.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I voted yes, although technically speaking the answer is no :lol:

I heard about D&D through a number of sources (magazine ads, friends, the ET movie) and, lacking any actual gamebooks, wrote my own simple rpg based on what I had heard. The next time I was in the UK, I bought the set below shown in TerraDave's post and got to see what a real rpg was actually like. All downhill from there ;)...

TerraDave said:

Delta

First Post
Hell yes. I'm still looking at the blue book right at the side of my desk.

I think that far and away the worst ongoing strategic choice TSR/WOTC has made for 20 years now is to not have a concise, totally compatible, full-character-creation basic set for D&D. (Maybe that's impossible under the current ruleset. If so, it should be so fixed.)

Remove ads