• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Are you a pure WotC player?

Assuming you play/run 5e, do you only use WotC material?

• I only own WotC products for RPGs.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I own some non-WotC products, but don't use them at the table.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I play 5e (or something similar, like A5E) using non-WotC material.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I don't play 5e.

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Poll closed .

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm seeing a decent number of posters who don't use any non-WotC material, just curious as to how common this is.

To clarify, this is only regards to your 5e play and habits, I'm not surveying about whether or nort you play 5e AND other games. This is what do you use at the table when you're playing 5e.

Last edited:

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
I'll kick it off, I guess. I've amassed a decent collection of free adventure downloads from DTRPG/DMs Guild/etc, but I've not incorporated any of them. The one exception, which is more or less one of the most recommended standalones on DMs Guild, has not sat well with me in running it, and I don't know that I'm likely to return to that publisher.

I've not run into a need/desire for any third party products in the games that I have run.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I cannot imagine running just WotC stuff. Nearly all of their adventures are ideas I've already run or played in years or even decades ago. While there is a huge pool of newer players for whom I'm sure they have more appeal, I am looking for greener pastures.

A world without Ptolus, the Stygian Library, Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, Empire of the Ghouls and the Cawood Publishing monster books would likely be a world where I'm playing a lot less D&D.

MGibster

Legend
I don't usually complain about the polls, but none of these are applicable to me. When it comes to D&D, I only use WotC's products. But I own many other RPGs produced by a myraid of other companies.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
There's no option for what I imagine is true for most people here (that play 5E): Own and use WotC and 3PP products.
I thought it would be fairly obvious that option 3 was inclusive of 3pp AND WotC, since you can't play 5e without owning a WotC product.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For D&D, sometimes I use non-WotC content, sometimes I don't.

But then, I'm not a pure-D&D player, either. I play stuff that has no relation to D&D at all.

Incenjucar

Legend
I skipped 5E, but in previous editions I only ever used the 1P material or my own homebrew, though that included Dragon Magazine stuff.

Remove ads