D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That is not all that indie means. It means you don't use the major studios for distribution, either
Most indie movies are distributed by a studio. Though sometimes that studio specializes in indie films, like NEON.

Look at any list of indie movies these days, and you will see most are affiliated with a studio distributor. That's not a rhetorical statement - you should look.

Just to be clear, I am not just some fan on the net about this topic. My wife works in the industry and has for 30 years. Most people I know work in the industry. I've consulted for the industry. I am not just making stuff up here.

Ok, everybody is arguing semantics on a word that's up for interpretation while missing out on the main point.
Lucas did things his way without a lot of studio involvement. The story wasn't designed by committee to appeal to targeted focus groups. A lot of the filming techniques were innovative and continued to be used for decades.
Do you see this same spirit in modern blockbusters?

Yes. eg: Dune 2.
Nolan and Villeneuve have been making blockbusters with art house sensibilities for a while now.

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
throw it away? hell no I spent to much money on that crap. Sell it on eBay? yeah that the ticket! down to just to books to sell. I am keeping my slip case PH/DMG/MM set because its pretty and while I will never play the game again I am collector.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm going by what the market is asking. Curse of Strahd Revamped was $100 four years ago. B&G sells box sets for hundreds of dollars. SJ, PS and BoMT were all around $90. And most consider CoSR and the latter projects inferior. Further, even $150 is steep for a single box set; $30 more gets you ALL three 2024 core books.

I'm not arguing that better campaign settings wouldn't be Appreciated, but I feel they would end up being out priced for all but the most ardent fans and whales.

I would expect to pay $100-150 and would pay it

ezo

I cast invisibility
Most indie movies are distributed by a studio. Though sometimes that studio specializes in indie films, like NEON.

Look at any list of indie movies these days, and you will see most are affiliated with a studio distributor. That's not a rhetorical statement - you should look.

Just to be clear, I am not just some fan on the net about this topic. My wife works in the industry and has for 30 years. Most people I know work in the industry. I've consulted for the industry. I am not just making stuff up here.
Fair enough, but then they should change the definition. ;)

Remove ads