D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Hussar

Legend
It could be the most expensive film ever made, past, present, and future, and it would still count as indie if it was made independently of the studio system.

Funny. My version of Star Wats always says 20th Century Fox on it.

Didn’t know that was an indie company.

Remathilis

Legend
Funny. My version of Star Wats always says 20th Century Fox on it.

Didn’t know that was an indie company.
Star Wars was shopped around to all the major film companies for distribution before Fox gave him a chance on their second go around. George was so grateful, he opted to use them to release the prequels despite the fact he wouldn't have needed them to distribute them. (He also did it because he liked how the 20th Century Fox fanfare leads into the main title theme.)

Hussar

Legend
Star Wars was shopped around to all the major film companies for distribution before Fox gave him a chance on their second go around. George was so grateful, he opted to use them to release the prequels despite the fact he wouldn't have needed them to distribute them. (He also did it because he liked how the 20th Century Fox fanfare leads into the main title theme.)

All true.

Still not an indie.

Retreater

Legend
Ok, everybody is arguing semantics on a word that's up for interpretation while missing out on the main point.
Lucas did things his way without a lot of studio involvement. The story wasn't designed by committee to appeal to targeted focus groups. A lot of the filming techniques were innovative and continued to be used for decades.
Do you see this same spirit in modern blockbusters? What about in the 2024 D&D design process?

Remathilis

Legend
All true.

Still not an indie.
FWIW, @Hussar is correct. Since Lucas had Fox distribute Star Wars, it was no longer an indie. If he had distributed it himself (under Lucasfilm), it would have been an indie.
Technically, it would be akin to a director's personal studio like Bad Robot or Stone Quarry (if the idea even existed back then). So yes, but Star Wars was far less micromanaged at the executive level compared to a modern MCU film. (That is partially due to the auteur movement that was big in Hollywood during that time, but that's a far larger topic.)

Suffice to say that "plucky independent spirit" was starting to fade in Empire and gone by Jedi.

Remathilis

Legend
Ok, everybody is arguing semantics on a word that's up for interpretation while missing out on the main point.
Lucas did things his way without a lot of studio involvement. The story wasn't designed by committee to appeal to targeted focus groups. A lot of the filming techniques were innovative and continued to be used for decades.
Do you see this same spirit in modern blockbusters? What about in the 2024 D&D design process?
As stated that was the Auteur Movement of the 70s and 80s. Director as Visionary/God was big, and it was producing Blockbusters: Godfather, Shining, Jaws, Star Wars. It also made plenty of bombs and had many issues with production. (Look up the Twilight Zone movie).

The shift changed when a director's name was no longer sufficient to put audience asses in seats. There are few directors that pull interest by their name alone. And there have been far too many bad movies that tried to coast on that (Hello Rebel Moon). People care more about the franchise a movie is tied to than who if helming it.
(Exceptions exist).

Vaalingrade

Legend
Lot of cherry picking there.

Let's not forget that a lot of enduring techniques were also founded by indie darling The Matrix.

Retreater

Legend
Lot of cherry picking there.

Let's not forget that a lot of enduring techniques were also founded by indie darling The Matrix.
I've only seen the first Matrix film, so I can't speak much to it. But I do remember some of the innovative techniques that carried on to other films. So I'm not suggesting that only Lucas was a visionary director. I am just not seeing as much of it in current films, which might have as much to do with overworked FX artists cranking out so many CGI dependent films.
But we can certainly shift the conversation back to gaming and if innovation has a place in D&D.
In this current update of 5e, I understand if there's not a need for big changes, just some cleaning up. However, that does mean (to me, personally) that I'm less likely to continue being excited for the same game that we've had for the past decade. (I prefer 4E and Pathfinder 2 ... or even games like Forbidden Lands ... just because they're at least trying something different.)

Arilyn

Hero
Last edited:

Remove ads