• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) In Service of Orussus (dpdx judging)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The judge tries to answer your question as best he is capable, "The plan involves taking two groups of adventurers, and getting them into the Mauler's base camp on the other side of the Mountains to the north. How we do that, and who is involved must remain secret to all those not obligated to a binding contract with the City. So, in order for me to reveal more, I would be required to already have your signature on a contract. If you could ask some more... particular question, then I could be of more aid. However, in order to maintain secrecy, I cannot mention exactly how we are to insert a group like your own into the Mauler's camp."

Ghostknight

First Post
Creamsteak said:
The judge tries to answer your question as best he is capable, "The plan involves taking two groups of adventurers, and getting them into the Mauler's base camp on the other side of the Mountains to the north. How we do that, and who is involved must remain secret to all those not obligated to a binding contract with the City. So, in order for me to reveal more, I would be required to already have your signature on a contract. If you could ask some more... particular question, then I could be of more aid. However, in order to maintain secrecy, I cannot mention exactly how we are to insert a group like your own into the Mauler's camp."

Harwin nods.

I cannot speak for the others, but for my part I am eager to work at getting rid of giants and their kin that harm others. I am willing to sign the contract.

As for specific questions perhaps you could tell us mor about the Mauler and his band.

I would like to know how many of them are there? What kind of weapons do they use? Do they attack travellers from hiding with bows or more directly? Do they have any mages or priests with them? How does the Mauler fight - what weaponry, magic and tactics does he favour?

As for their camp I would like to know how big it is, in what kind of terrain is it situated? And another question is this but a direct assasination against the Mauler or is there something else that needs to be done?

Harwin gives abit of a self conscious cough after blurting out the above but looks directly at the Judge while waiting for an answer.

Mithreander

Explorer
Thoria nods to the questions placed by Harwin and also waits for the answers.

She too was ready to sign the contract, though she would need to read it first.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I would like to know how many of them are there? What kind of weapons do they use? Do they attack travellers from hiding with bows or more directly? Do they have any mages or priests with them? How does the Mauler fight - what weaponry, magic and tactics does he favour?

"There are at least twenty of them, if not more. They are armed with whatever weapons they each individually could afford and desired. Most of them are not experts with the longbow, but they have a number of crossbows. They have at least one cleric and one wizard to deal with problems that arrise, these two would be well payed. The Mauler uses two huge metal clubs to pummel is foes at close range, and can jump the height and breadth of multiple houses. He makes use of this mobility often."

As for their camp I would like to know how big it is, in what kind of terrain is it situated? And another question is this but a direct assasination against the Mauler or is there something else that needs to be done?

"Last reports say that their camp is still mobile, patrolling the caravan paths surrounding the mountains. They are likely to pick the highest grounds they can find on a particular day, but they will not go up into the mountain for fear of being caught there at nighfall. There are creatures on the mountain that I do believe than any band should avoid."

"This is NOT an assassination. To use such words in reference to the high law here is calous. If you could dissuede his actions or capture him, that would of course be of greater value to us in Orussus. Slaying him in the name of the law is an acceptable course of action in the contract."

She too was ready to sign the contract, though she would need to read it first.

The contracts are presented midway through the debate to be examined. They consist of a few parts.

1) Signing the contract grants the benefit to the signer of an insurance policy that lasts until the end of the contract. This policy requires a "next of kin" to be named. When the contract ends, the "next of kin" will recieve the 1,000 gold pieces instead of the signer of th contract.

2) The terms of the contract and what results in it's end: 1) Death, 2) Death of the Mauler, 3) Capture of the Mauler and return to Orussus, 4) Successfully negotiating the Mauler's own return to Orussus without hostile intent, 5) Judges decree.

3) This section includes additional clauses by which the Judge can cancel the agreement, and additional rewards for accomplishing bounty's in the name of Orussus while under this contract. It does not detail any such bounty's, only that the signer has the ability to collect on any rewards offered by the court of Orussus.

-I'm going to be out of town pretty soon, so despite chugging along, I will not start the adventure until I'm back to normal operation.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Sara fidgets about, clearly dissatisfied with how this is going. "Two groups you said before, and you won't tell us how we'll be 'inserted'... You know, I don't think I'm ever going to get a straightforward job - which is too bad, because I'm really a very straightforward kinda person. You want us to prove that we're good enough to accept the job of risking our lives in exactly the way you're going to tell us? I think I'm remembering more of this story - oh no, grey fox, I hate nettles so!" She starts to get up, then repositions herself in front of the rip. "Why don't you just tell us exactly what it is that you're hiring us to do, and we'll tell you if we can and want to do it. After your pet smasher turned on you I guess you'd be wary, but if its that bad, use your own guards and stop playing games with us." She seems honestly annoyed, but also bored. Obviously she was looking for a hunt and a fight, not an interview to jump out of the ogre's birthday cake...

Creamsteak

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
oh no, grey fox, I hate nettles so!
:p

"Why don't you just tell us exactly what it is that you're hiring us to do, and we'll tell you if we can and want to do it. After your pet smasher turned on you I guess you'd be wary, but if its that bad, use your own guards and stop playing games with us."

"I have told you what I can by law. I could also tell you about the six other individuals already on their way to the Mauler's abode. They're asleep onboard a caravan, a Trojan Horse if you will. We hope that the caravan is properly intercepted, and the group can sneak into the camp during the night. Your job would be to get to the camp on horseback before the caravan arrives and is ripped open by the brutes. But if I said all of that, I would be breaking Orussus code, wouldn't I?"

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Creamsteak said:
"I have told you what I can by law. I could also tell you about the six other individuals already on their way to the Mauler's abode. They're asleep onboard a caravan, a Trojan Horse if you will. We hope that the caravan is properly intercepted, and the group can sneak into the camp during the night. Your job would be to get to the camp on horseback before the caravan arrives and is ripped open by the brutes. But if I said all of that, I would be breaking Orussus code, wouldn't I?"

Sara starts to say something (probably truely dense) then apears to replay the conversation in her head and gives the woman a grudging nod. "Well, no code breaking allowed around here, I guess..." Settling back and thinking for a moment longer, she adds, "So if these guys used to work for you and theres another group on the way that we won't, er might not meet before a fight starts... Are we gonna be able to tell who works for who when we get there? You know, you can't place your bets if you don't know the players." Apparently feeling that she has been serious for far too long, she abandons her defense of the damaged chair for another helping of mead and ale. "It could end up like a pickup battle where you start choosing teams in the arena. Man, those were awful, and they always give you swords that break and stuff. If people want comedy, they should go to church, not the Pits! Er, sorry Thoria..."

Mithreander

Explorer
Thoria looks at 'double trouble' sharply, but then smiles at her appology. There was somthing amusing about some religious cerimonies if you did not know the conotations involved.

THoria signs her name to the contract, seeing nothing that is trully questionable in the part of the contract.

Aranel

First Post
Karcer was all for going out and getting into some fun. Hell, she might even find a lead to a certain someone...but...
Hanging back, eyeing the contract, pen and all suspiciously...she gave the crude carving on the bench (Her abbreviated name and two swords with an eagle above) one last look before watching the other apparently stab at the paper with the feathery thing.

"What th' hells..." she asked herself picking up her axe and wandering over to examine it. Curious if not knowledgeable.

"I 'afta...put me name to that?" she guessed. "Bloody hell." Karcer couldn't write. She'd not ever tried...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Aranel said:
"What th' hells..." she asked herself picking up her axe and wandering over to examine it. Curious if not knowledgeable.

"I 'afta...put me name to that?" she guessed. "Bloody hell." Karcer couldn't write. She'd not ever tried...

Sara was getting up to sign but at the gnome's latest stiring, she just sighs. She seems to regard Karcer with a sense of resigned recognition. "Its ok, I don't think the ogre could sign his contract either. You just say you want to sign it in front of all of us and make an scribble or something, and that counts. See?" She demonstrates a perusal of the paper and says "This looks good to me!" in a loud voice before making a small mark in the area provided. As she sits beside Thoria, she says with exagerated casualness, "So, you can heal people's bodies... do you have any expereince with less, er, physical ailments?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads