• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] - Hewards Handy Haversack to be toned down.

HeavyG

First Post
Staffan said:

Probably to justify its price compared to a Bag of Holding, given the smaller amount of storage.

You also have to carry a bag of holding in your hands. A haversack is so much more... handy.

I've always kept the mea rule about these. My rationale is this : The sack doesn't accelerate the movement of your hand, it just makes what you are looking for be at the top of the bag. It takes a mea to draw a weapon and the movement to get something from the bag is somewhat equivalent. I did allow people to retrieve things with a free action if they had quickdraw, too.

Malin Genie

First Post
Coredump said:
Thank God,
The HHH was way too powerful the way it was. If someone had created it, everyone would have claimed how munchkin it was, since it is much better than anything else out there. (Compare to Glove of storing, which only holds one item; or a bag of holding.)

Now, if they will only make Boccobs Book more reasonable also.

Actually, if you interpret "freely" according to the original intention, BBB is quite reasonable - still worth the money for the ability to carry several books' worth of spells all in one light book but not allowing a complete bypass of the scribing cost rules.

Delgar

First Post
Hypersmurf [shrug] Like the Fullblade. Published, errata'd, and then revised back to pretty much its original incarnation in a later publication.

What book was it revised in? Is it back to the same as in Sword and Fist?

Just curious

Delgar

heirodule

First Post
Malin Genie said:

Actually, if you interpret "freely" according to the original intention, BBB is quite reasonable - still worth the money for the ability to carry several books' worth of spells all in one light book but not allowing a complete bypass of the scribing cost rules.

No, "freely" meaning "for no cost" was the original intention, it just wasn't worded very well.

Kraedin

First Post
Do you have any idea why it was errata'ed in the first place? I also think the HHH is meant to be for storage use, what was the reason behind adding the advantage of retrieving as a free action? Doesn't sound very needed or meaningful to me...
Because in the original, retriving an item from heward's handy haversack was a move-equivalent action that provoked an attack of opportunity, while retriving an item from a normal, non-magical backpack was a move-equivalent action that provoked an attack of oppoutunity.

What book was it revised in? Is it back to the same as in Sword and Fist?
The Arms and Equipment Guide; 2d8 19-20/x2, Huge exotic slashing weapon, usable by Medium creatures with the proper Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat.

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
While I agree, the free quickdraw feat might have been a bit much, they have now neutered it. What's handy about it? Why not just get a bag of holding now?

Kraedin

First Post
Remember that it was a free Quickdraw for anything that wasn't pointy.
Heward's handy haversack description: In fact, each is like a bag of holding. . .

bag of holding description: . . .if sharp objects pierce it (from the inside or outside) the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I think this is an obvious result of lobbying by the Fearunian Potion Belt Maker's society.

Now only citizens of the Munchkin Realms will have quick access to magical elixrs. :rolleyes:

drnuncheon

Explorer
JRRNeiklot said:
While I agree, the free quickdraw feat might have been a bit much, they have now neutered it. What's handy about it? Why not just get a bag of holding now?

Not provoking AoOs for rooting around in your stuff is pretty handy. I mean, if it's in a situation where it's that time critical and all.

And maybe - just maybe - they'll change 'retrieve a stored item' to something a little more realistic. (I defy anyone to go from backpack on their back to getting a specific something at the bottom in even 6 seconds, let alone 3.) I'm not holding my breath on this one, though.

J

Shard O'Glase

First Post
depends on what's in my backpack and how I pack it. I can frequently get things out in 2-3 seconds, if my backpackis stuffed and disorganized it could take 9-12 seconds if I was unlucky. Defiently an AoO situation(though less of one that being held), still a second is a long time.

Edit to add, my potions etc wont be in my backpack though, they'll be in easy to grab combat locations. My backpack will have things like my bedroll, extra clothes, soap, food, water etc. And not things I'd likely need in a fight.

Last edited:

Remove ads