• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] - Hewards Handy Haversack to be toned down.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
In this thread on Andy Collins messageboards http://pub36.ezboard.com/fgameschat19968frm10.showMessage?topicID=325.topic he reveals that the HHH is being toned down a little.

HHH's utility has been clarified (it's not a free action to pull things out, but a move action that doesn't provoke AoOs, since you don't have to dig around in it).

Excellent news IMO, since the current one completely negates the Quickdraw feat for a relatively cheap cost. It now becomes useful but not a killer (and faintly ridiculous) combat tactic.

Cheers

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Kraedin said:
Say hello to heward's useless haversack, folks!
It's hardly useless. If you stored all your gear inside a bag of holding, you'd need a full round action to retrieve anything.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Sure it is. Anything that a typical character needed in combat could be stored in a location that could be retrieved as a non-AoO provoking MeA (or better if you use FR potion belts, bandoliers, and scroll organizers) already. Anything the character wasn't likely to need in combat can take a full round action without any problem. (The very small range of other cases don't come anywhere close to justifying the haversack's cost).

The new Hewards is a solution in search of a problem and the only thing it's good for is +20 innuendo bonus to inform rogues, merchants, and con-men "hey, if I bought this, I'll buy anything. Easy mark coming through."

AuraSeer said:

It's hardly useless. If you stored all your gear inside a bag of holding, you'd need a full round action to retrieve anything.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
In the last campaign I played in, several of us had or wanted HHH's. None of us wanted it to defeat the need for Quickdraw. We all wanted it to be able to store all our stuff and still remain at a Light Load. It's cheaper than a bag of holding, and a nice way to keep a lot of your gear on your person at all times.

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
The new Hewards is a solution in search of a problem and the only thing it's good for is +20 innuendo bonus to inform rogues, merchants, and con-men "hey, if I bought this, I'll buy anything. Easy mark coming through."

.....or a halfling. My halfling would have gladly paid double the price for the ability to carry all my junk for five pounds of encumberance.

The HHH has simply had the rules adjusted to more accurately reflect what it's intention was.

Coredump

Explorer
Thank God,
The HHH was way too powerful the way it was. If someone had created it, everyone would have claimed how munchkin it was, since it is much better than anything else out there. (Compare to Glove of storing, which only holds one item; or a bag of holding.)

Now, if they will only make Boccobs Book more reasonable also.

Remove ads