• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 1st time back in a while - 4E?????

NewJeffCT

First Post
I've been off of enworld for a while - my current job blocks access to all gaming sites. With my gaming limited due to my location, and unsure job situation, I come back the other day and see "4th edition" (my old group's DM was laid up for a while after major surgery, too)

Is there a comprehensive place I can find rumors on 4E?
Has it been officially announced yet? If so, when will it be released?
Will it be a big change, like 2E to 3E, or will it be more like 3E to 3.5 (or 1E to 2E)?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll hopefully check back tonight when I get home.

Turanil

First Post
NewJeffCT said:
I've been off of enworld for a while <...> Is there a comprehensive place I can find rumors on 4E?
Don't wait anymore! 4e has been released, and your FLGS may have it right now. However, be sure to get it quick, as it is a limited edition that won't get more printings, so the books can eventually sell at astronomical prices on ebay. :D ;)

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Can't even give the poor guy a straight answer huh? :)

There's no 4E. It's a product of over-active nightmares and bored people. ;)

I sat at WotC seminars at GenCon 2 months back where more than one designer said there's no 4E in the works.

Freelancers I know have said they have contracts and are working on 3.5 edition stuff for WotC through 2007.

So, there's no 4E. Everybody calm down. :)

-DM Jeff

Emirikol

Adventurer
I work* for Wizards and I can assure that 4E is already in the works. The release date wasn't made clear to me.

The market research has been pretty clear that the release of a new edition has a limited shelf life because of the aging of the hobbiests and replacement by computer/console gaming. They are of the pre-emptive thinking that 4E NEEDS to be released while there is someone who will still purchase a paper and pencil game. To sweeten the deal, miniatures and collectable rulesets will play a larger role in encouraging the purchase of more product. Why put out the COmplete Arcane when you can put out the Complete Arcane Miniatures with 4 different core class rulesets.

Now these are just rumors, but the following is what the playtesters have been dealing with:
* Prestige classes will be replaced by collectable core class options (full packages with feat lists exclusive to those classes)
* Miniature variations including mounted versions and other things players have been asking for. They're going to be encouraging people to take prepainted mini's and 'make them better.' Someone said that it might mean that they could be doing interchangable "attachments" kind of like the old GIJoe's.
* d20 licenses will remain, but the requirements will include miniature releases, which should tighten the market sales because 'hobbiests' won't be able to release miniatures. PDF downloads from 3rd parties would also be eliminated.
* The magic and combat systems have already been previewed in books like 9-Swords, etc. Ramping up of power throughout an encounter will be the rule rather than "once per day" type abilities or the so-called "vancian" spell slot magic system. They're NOT looking to spell points (or character points).
* Skills and feats will remain, but will be better and more clearly tree'd (and reduced in number).
* Magical itmes is the big one. Playtesters have noted that they're presented in a "collectable format." The DMG will have the main ones, which will actually be printable handouts (like the old LC certs), but new ones will be in their "Collectable" format..whatever that means. I kind of like the idea of those 'certs.' I can only imagine what it will do to Dragon magazine! If you have one page or a half-page per certed item. Would they have variants on the same page (for example +1-+5 generic sword wouldn't need 5 sheets..just one with a check-mark). Considering the talk about the 'variable' miniature accessories, I can imagine this will be a hot thing.
* It sounds more like toys and cards to me, but cool nonetheless. I sure it's just to sell more product.
* Thought: wth all these modifiable accessories to the miniatures, i wouldn't be surprised if they had to change the scale and make them larger.

jh
* Actually I'm as a product-promoter, i.e. a DM for a home group..so in a sense I work for Wizards when I require my players to purchase their own PHB :)

SWBaxter

First Post
NewJeffCT said:
Is there a comprehensive place I can find rumors on 4E?

Just make up your own, it's quicker and just as accurate. AFAICT, there are only two scenarios likely to occur:

1) WOTC begins marketing 4E about a year before it's due to come out. This means we'll have plenty of lead time, giving us a chance to evaluate whether it's worth upgrading to 4E.

2) WOTC decides to release 4E in some kind of "surprise!" scenario as a few doomsayers seem to fear. This means we'll have no lead time, but it also means that every single person at WOTC will have gone completely insane, so it probably won't be worth upgrading anyway.

I don't see anything to worry about in either case, so 4E ain't on my radar at this time. YMMV.

mhensley

First Post
Emirikol said:
i wouldn't be surprised if they had to change the scale and make them larger.

Of all the ideas you mention, this is the one that would probably kill any interest I might have in a new edition. I have tons of D&D minis. If they were made unusable by a scale change, I would be very unhappy.

diaglo

Adventurer
mhensley said:
Of all the ideas you mention, this is the one that would probably kill any interest I might have in a new edition. I have tons of D&D minis. If they were made unusable by a scale change, I would be very unhappy.

the scale already makes them unusable to me.

i have a real ton of lead minis. scale = 25 mm

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads