• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which RPG games depend on the OGL 1.0a?

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
This is the wrong question. Open Game Content is the real issue. Companies that stupidly slapped the OGL into their books but don’t use OGC can just delete the OGL from the pdf and carry on, games that use OGC are screwed. The real kicker here is that OGC is not legally defined anywhere to the best of my knowledge so I expect WOTC to claim its anything in any of the SRDs.

CapnZapp

Legend
Every game that uses D&D concepts like Fighters, Clerics, Wizards, levels, classes, Elves, Orcs, are in the danger zone.

Don't kid yourself you're fine just because you think you will be able to use legalese to weasel yourself out of any formal definitions.

You are only safe* if your game demonstrably uses a different game engine than that of D&D. Or in other words, your game has never had the appeal of being similar to or like D&D (any version). Games like BRP/RQ, GURPS Fantasy or MERP/RoleMaster.

*) and no, contrary to what you might think, I am not a lawyer :)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This is the wrong question. Open Game Content is the real issue. Companies that stupidly slapped the OGL into their books but don’t use OGC can just delete the OGL from the pdf and carry on, games that use OGC are screwed. The real kicker here is that OGC is not legally defined anywhere to the best of my knowledge so I expect WOTC to claim its anything in any of the SRDs.
What do you mean "stupidly." It was intentional. The idea was that they wanted their games open, too, to enjoy the benefits of what Open Gaming offers: innovation, support and community.

MGibster

Legend
They do not depend on the OGL and use none of WotC's OGC. They use it as a convenient tool to share their content to their 3PP communities, but can easily switch that license for another. They're not licensing content in, they're merely licensing their own content out.
Got'cha. Why reinvent the wheel if you've already got something you can use.

Remove ads