• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which RPG games depend on the OGL 1.0a?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage

There are myriad published and unpublished RPG games that depend on the OGL 1.0a. The list here is to get a sense of the games that we might be familiar with, that Hasbro-WotC now threatens with its new OGL 1.1.

13th Age by Fire Opal Media, published under license by Pelgrane Press (OGL)

Castles & Crusades by Troll Lord Games (OGL)

Fate by Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment (OGL and CC-BY 3.0)

Fudge System Reference Document by Grey Ghost Games (OGL)

Gumshoe System by Pelgrane Press (CC-BY-3.0/OGL)

Labyrinth Lord by Goblinoid Games (OGL)

OSRIC by Stuart Marshall and Mathew Finch (OGL)

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game by Paizo (OGL)

Pathfinder 2 Roleplaying Game by Paizo (OGL)

Please add more games to this list. Start going thru your own collections to confirm that the game depends on the OGL 1.0a.

mamba

Legend
Being licensed under is not the same as being dependent on. You only depend on it if your game uses parts of WotC’s Open Game Content (and/or third party OGC that relies on it).

At a minimum anything dual-licensed like Fate should be fine and can just drop the OGL if it no longer is convenient / beneficial to include it.

Last edited:

There are myriad published and unpublished RPG games that depend on the OGL 1.0a. The list here is to get a sense of the games that we might be familiar with, that Hasbro-WotC now threatens with its new OGL 1.1.

13th Age by Fire Opal Media, published under license by Pelgrane Press (OGL)

Castles & Crusades by Troll Lord Games (OGL)

Fate by Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment (OGL and CC-BY 3.0)

Fudge System Reference Document by Grey Ghost Games (OGL)

Gumshoe System by Pelgrane Press (CC-BY-3.0/OGL)

Labyrinth Lord by Goblinoid Games (OGL)

OSRIC by Stuart Marshall and Mathew Finch (OGL)

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game by Paizo (OGL)

Pathfinder 2 Roleplaying Game by Paizo (OGL)

Please add more games to this list. Start going thru your own collections to confirm that the game depends on the OGL 1.0a.
first thank you, this is something we should have started hours maybe a day ago. Good on you for catching it.

second, I think it would be prudent to separate the list into "uses WotC base D&D roll d20 system" and "just uses the license for the game they made up on there own."

Fate Fudge and Gumshoe are not based on WotC mechanics at all they just use the license for there own game.

Also add Mutants and Masterminds.

JEB

Legend
True20 and the new Renegade games (Gi Joe, Power Rangers, and Transformers) Essence20

Essence20 I laugh the most "Wait, you asked us to do this, you licensed us to do this, now your subsidiary is trying to stop it"
I don't see any indication that the Transformers RPG is using the OGL, can you point me to the section in the book? (Dungeon Crawl Classics buries it, so I could have missed it.)

EDIT: On that note, Dungeon Crawl Classics is an OGL game (if as minimally as possible).

Remove ads