• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When would you actually want 4E?

When would you actually want 4th Edition?

• Now (late 2006)

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Early 2007

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Late 2007

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Early 2008

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Late 2008

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Early 2009

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Late 2009

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Early 2010

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Late 2010

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • 2011 or later

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Never (keep the SRD updated)

Votes: 22 17.9%

Drowbane

First Post
Thanee said:
No, just when it's done.

It's a common quote from Blizzard Entertainment, which they tell, when they are asked for a release date for any of their upcoming games.

It means, that they do not really set dates for release. They release, when they are happy with their product, when it's perfect. However long that takes.

No compromise between a faster publishing and a better product. Product quality over everything else.

Bye
Thanee

Ahh, I see. I'm still waiting for a Starcraft sequel!

DragonLancer

Adventurer
2011 +.

3.X is still a child and needs to mature before it get replaced by the next generation. We know WOTC are a company and will look to putting out a new edition in order to make money (hey, thats what a company does as we all know). But rather than do that any time soon, they should work on more setting material for the FR and Eberron, modules, and more accessible sourcebooks.

Numion

First Post
I don't have strong feelings one way or another. I don't get my dice bag in a wad if, for example, a car manufacturer makes a new model of my car.

I don't have to buy it, but if 4E's any good I'll buy it. It would be nice to have new products to buy.

teitan

Legend
You are missing an option when it comes out, it comes out. Some of us don't really mind if 4e comes out today or 5 years from now. Then again I am used to White Wolf where a new editions seems to be released every five years or so...

I'll but it if it makes NPC generation more easily executed. That is the worst part of adventure design in 3e, generating statistics.

Michael Tree

First Post
When it's done. I'm in no hurry for it, but I'm definitely starting to notice 3e's flaws, so I'm not adverse to it either. I just hope that it's more than the collection of tweaks and errata that 3.5 was, addressing the problems with high-level play, imbalance between magic and mundane classes, multiclassed spellcasting, the dependence on wearing a "christmas tree" of magic items, the ever-so-annoying vancian spellcasting, and the PITA of creating stats as a GM. And designing a new edition that addresses all those and adds new things that make it overall more fun to play, while still keeping the D&D feel, will take lots of time for development and widespread playtesting.

Menexenus

First Post

AD&D 2nd edition got a 10 year lifespan before the introduction of 3E. I believe 3E deserves at least as much time before a major overhaul. So I voted for late 2010. However, 3E could go on even longer than that, as far as I'm concerned. (By voting for 2010, I was just trying to recognize the fact that 4E can't be delayed inevitably, otherwise D&D will no longer be profitable.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads