• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When would you actually want 4E?

When would you actually want 4th Edition?

• Now (late 2006)

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Early 2007

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Late 2007

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Early 2008

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Late 2008

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Early 2009

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Late 2009

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Early 2010

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Late 2010

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • 2011 or later

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Never (keep the SRD updated)

Votes: 22 17.9%

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
We know there will be a 4th Edition: I am reiterating fact. The question is when.

So, with all the 4E threads going around, I realized I haven't seen one addressing when WotC's customers actually want it. Assuming that WotC produces 3.5 at roughly the same quality that it has been (think of an average of everything 3.0 and 3.5), from now on, when would you want/buy/need a 4E?

Sejs

First Post
It'll come at a time when it naturally suggests itself as the better step to take than to continue on with the current system. Currently I'd see that taking place in 2010, 2011 or later, but who knows what the state of things'll be in two years?

It'll happen when it happens, and I'm okay with that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ideally, I believe that 4Ed should arrive on the scene about 3 years after the power creep and inconsistencies (mostly due to bad editing, lack of consistent standards, and just a whole bunch of different designers) in 3.5Ed threaten the survival of the brand from within, while competitors' games have started to noticeably erode D&D's market share with their innovative and well designed games.

I'm not kidding, btw.

I don't have a hard & fast due date- I want it to arrive when it is needed- and after it has been rigorously playtested- and not a moment before.

Tessarael

Explorer
When they are done with it. By which I mean: sufficient design time, sufficient playtesting, and thorough editing of stat blocks et al. I guess ideally by the end of 2007, given the plethora of complete books coming out currently (i.e. to offer something better instead of those).

Drowbane

First Post
Thanee, when it is done by Blizzard?

~~~

I voted for never... as I hope that 3e will never sink to the depths that 2e did... and thus 4e will never be needed.

Thanee

First Post
Drowbane said:
Thanee, when it is done by Blizzard?

No, just when it's done.

It's a common quote from Blizzard Entertainment, which they tell, when they are asked for a release date for any of their upcoming games.

It means, that they do not really set dates for release. They release, when they are happy with their product, when it's perfect. However long that takes.

No compromise between a faster publishing and a better product. Product quality over everything else.

Bye
Thanee

Corinth

First Post
RPGs are capital goods, like roads, power systems or other basic economic infrastructure, and as such have useful lifespans of a generation or two before they wear out and need to be replaced. Therefore, the earliest that a new edition of D&D would need to be put out would be 2025; WotC, in the meantime, should devote its efforts into managing the brand and actively/overtly supporting an array of second and third-party developers that produce the very support products that don't have the same lifespan as the core rulebooks and their immediate degree of supplements. They need to become like the console/platform developers with a strong core product that runs on it- like Half-Life 2 & the Source engine, the X-Box & Halo, or Nintendo & Mario's games, but over a much longer time period because the medium is not the same.

Turanil

First Post
I voted never.

I don't need a new game system. There is plenty of game systems I could be interested in, right now: Warhammer FRP 2, Runequest 2, HARP. They are probably much interesting, but I don't see myself doing one shots after one shots just to try different RPGs. I have several d20 variants in adition to D&D 3.5, plus Castles & Crusades and Savage Worlds, and have really no desire to try others. I can't believe 4e could be the ultimate system that would make me immediately abandon all my current RPGs.

Also, I like C&C and SW in that they are light systems with just a couple of books. D&D 3.5 on the other hand, is flooded with new books every month, and the trend would have to continue with 4e, as WotC is there TO SELL. So nope, I won't even get a look at 4e, 3.5 has made me bored with the game with all their continual additions to an already too rule-heavy for my taste, system.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads