• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When will 4E appear?

Sir Elton

First Post
wingsandsword said:
D&D isn't like a CCG, it isn't collectable, you don't need booster packs/new books to keep playing. Also, there are games of 1e out there still after all these years, I know a 2e devotee who runs it when he can, plenty of people still play 3.0, and you can bet hard cash that when 4e comes out there will still be lots of players playing 3.5 and not having a whole lot of interest in migrating.
No, D&D isn't collectible. No matter how much it plays like one, it isn't collectible. D&D 3e does have a few problems, though. I've heard someone say that the skills get in the way of Roleplaying. That same someone also said that the feats are what everyone uses. He is also saying that characterization in 3e is predictable.

If 4e does come out, I would like to see some focus on more modularity and character development. Maybe we need more feats, or feats that make PCs less predictable. Combat can't be made anymore realistic, however. If people want realistic combat, they might as well buy HARP or Rolemaster; or get WotC to license Spell Law and Arms Law from ICE. Right, Tim?

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Abstraction said:
Yes, but in order to make money, 4E cannot come out until people want it. Or at least until they can be convinced to buy it. WOTC is very market-savvy, unlike TSR. They will do what will make them the greatest amount of dollars over the most sustainable period of time, and that is to make the consumer happy.
Umm... so you are saying that 3.5 coming out 3 years age 3.0 was because people wanted it and it would make them happy? Or was it because they felt that they could convince people to buy it, and because sales of the core books had slumped?

It is obvious (at least, to me) that Hasbro controlled the release of 3.5, and that the release date was based (again, to me) on a CCG business model.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I expect 4E in 2006 or 2007 (more likely 2006 IMO), with 2008 being the very outside date on 4E being released.
Abstraction said:
Unfortunately, I also believe that when Hasbro feels the profits have dipped permanently for D&D, it's going to sell it.
Hasbro bought WotC for Pokemon (the CCG) and for M:tG, not for D&D. D&D just came along for the ride. D&D means nothing to Hasbro, so I seriously doubt that they would wait. Hasbro would likely sell D&D as soon as somebody met their asking price.

shadowlight

First Post
MerricB said:
Not much of a clue.

The best guess anyone has at the moment is possibly 2007, more likely 2008, and likely not even then.

I think you're very safe - with the books they're releasing at the moment, it's very, very unlikely 4e is anywhere near.

Cheers!
Yes, but I think the real question should be:

When is 3.75e coming out?

:)

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Sir Elton said:
If 4e does come out, I would like to see some focus on more modularity and character development. Maybe we need more feats, or feats that make PCs less predictable. Combat can't be made anymore realistic, however. If people want realistic combat, they might as well buy HARP or Rolemaster; or get WotC to license Spell Law and Arms Law from ICE. Right, Tim?

Hmm... I think this calls for a resound No Comment from me. Just to be safe... :D

RFisher

Explorer
Warp Demon said:
Just thinking about getting the 3.5 books but I'm afraid that If I do, I'll be wasting my money because 4E might be right around the corner. I want to get the latest rule set, but that's a lot of money, to buy all 3 books. So anyone know anything about 4E and when it will be released?

My advice: Just buy 3.0e, 2e, 1e, RC, or OD&D. Then you don't have to worry about when the next edition will come out, because it already has. :)

(&, although there is a smiley there, the fact is that I give you the advice I follow myself. I haven't bought a single 3.5e product, but I have bought (A)D&D products since 3.5e was released.)

Fedifensor

Explorer
diaglo said:
ummmm. that could also be b/c RPGA membership is now free. and wasn't pre-2000ed.

Yep. Thanks for proving my point. The RPGA is free because it's a marketing arm of WotC. And making it free got a lot more people to play RPGA Living campaigns. Which is exactly what WotC needs in case a new edition of the game is required.

When WotC has finished milking 3.5, and they need a fresh cash influsion, they'll begin the switch to 4.0. Once the switch is made, the Living campaigns will need to switch or lose RPGA support. If someone has to choose whether to purchase $100 of books to upgrade, they may decide to wait. But if you tell them they can't play their 10th level wizard in Greyhawk or 8th level paladin in Eberron until they make the upgrade, a lot of people will go ahead and shell out the cash. Once a person has put a lot of time and effort into a character, it's hard to let go.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
CharlesRyan said:
I take questions like this one all the time on the WotC message boards. Check the D&D General board for your answer.

I've been searching on the WotC board for a few minutes and don't see anything, so if someone else finds this, please post a link.

Ry

Explorer
Go to a used bookstore and pick up 3.0 - like arscott said, 3.0 is stable. While 3.5 has some minor tweaks, 3.0 is a very stable system, and you'll save yourself a bunch of money. Or, if you don't like money, pick up 2 PHBs for the game table.

Knight Otu

First Post
CharlesRyan said:
I take questions like this one all the time on the WotC message boards. Check the D&D General board for your answer.
This seems to be the most recent answer on the topic:

Charles Ryan said:
The short answer: No immediate plans; don't lose any sleep over it.

The longer answer: It’s the nature of roleplaying game systems to evolve over time, as new and better ways of running the game are devised by its designers and players. Thirty years of history show that D&D is no exception, so it’s probably safe to say that D&D will, some day, see another new edition. However, we are very happy with the current edition (as, I'm guessing, you are too), and we’re not in a hurry to monkey with a game that is enjoying new heights of success every day. If or when we do plan a new edition, we’ll give everyone plenty of warning before its release—at least a year or two. So please don’t worry that we’re going to be changing the game any time soon; enjoy the current edition and expect continued support for it for years to come.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads