• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E When will 4E appear?

Warp Demon

First Post
Telperion said:
My guess is around 2009 or 2010.

Other than that: how about using the SRD 3.5, if you don't feel like giving some money for the actual books? I'm using the SRD pretty much whenever when I'm not at home, which seems to be all the time these days, and it works out quite nicely :).

Heh, I don't even have the 3E books. I'm kind of getting back into D&D after a long "vacation". Everything looks so different. I feel like I have woke up from a 10 year coma or something. So, I'm quite familiar with AD&D, just not 3E. Which is why I was sort of cautious.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
MerricB said:
Not much of a clue.

The best guess anyone has at the moment is possibly 2007, more likely 2008, and likely not even then.
The last time this topic came up, I know I said 2006-2007, with the reasoning behind that being that Hasbro, liking the CCG business model so much that it has applied it to D&D.

Also, there is the fact that 3.5 was originally scheduled to be released in 2005, but was moved up 2 years (3 years seems to be the cycle on M:tG). Now if 3.5 was due in 2005, it makes sense that 4.0 would be out in 2010. However, since 3.5 was released in 2003 (2 years ahead of schedule), that means that if 4.0 sticks with the original 5 year span that was scheduled between 3.0 and 3.5 you could it in 2008. However, since they cut two years off the time for 3.5, if they do the same to the development of 4.0, that makes 2006 the earliest you might see it.

Ealier this year, Charles Ryan (brand manager for D&D) was interviewed, and the interviewer asked about 4.0. Charles was slick though. He refused to comment on anything more than 18 months down the pike (which would be around the beginning of 2006), and basically gave "no comment" answers by side-stepping the question when asked in several different ways.

Now, no matter when 4.0 is coming out, don't expect any announcements until early in the year that it will be released (and expect it to be a GenCon release, like both 3.0 & 3.5) as they start ramping up for the new edition.

arche

First Post
It's not even worth worrying about. I got the 3.5 for some reason, but I won't convert to another version until I'm really tired of this one. It's stable enough for me. 2.0 was driving me nuts and that's why I went on hiatus. I could have stuck with 3.0, but I succumbed to peer pressure :(. This time, I will not be tempted by a slick new cover!

Buzzardo

First Post
arche said:
It's stable enough for me. 2.0 was driving me nuts and that's why I went on hiatus.

Ha. Me too. I played the daylights out of 1st edition. 2nd edition lost me completely. I literally didn't do much playing at all between 1991 and 2000. 3rd edition was for me the ultimate renaissance. I hated 2nd edition. How rare is that opinion I wonder? Are there many hard core 2nd edition fans?

Psion

Adventurer
Buzzardo said:
Are there many hard core 2nd edition fans?

Not many, but I've seen them (primarily on WebRPG). The complaints are pretty much the same ones you here from 1e & odler Grognards (it's munchkin blah blah blah.)

Truth be told, I wasn't going to update to 3e, being happy with my highly house ruled 2e game world, and I didn't feel like porting it over.

But then I saw the Monster Manual and saw how much better the treatment of monsters was. The rest is history.

diaglo

Adventurer
arscott said:
3rd ed is definately not unstable.

just needed a tweak/revision. yeah, that's not unstable.

and i noticed you stayed away from saying it was overcomplex... the other part of your statement about 2edADnD. ha..ha..

2010 has been my prediction too since... late 1999. September 10, 2010 to be exact.

Fedifensor

Explorer
arche said:
It's not even worth worrying about. I got the 3.5 for some reason, but I won't convert to another version until I'm really tired of this one.
That's the reason WotC keeps the RPGA around. If you're playing an RPGA game, you'll have to convert when 4.0 comes out. They'll just dump any of the Living campaigns that don't convert. And it seems that RPGA games (like Living Greyhawk) had an explosion of popularity when 3.0 came out. I see a lot more people playing RPGA games than I ever did before D&D 3.0 hit the stores.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads