• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What would you want to see in 4e?

Ghostwind

First Post
Okay, it's a given that 4th edition will be produced. Although the exact year is up for speculation depending on who you talk to, the fact remains that it will be coming out. Having said that, if you could directly influence what went into 4e what rules you want to see 4e included?

For example, I would like to see:
* Armor as Damage Reduction
* Spell point casting system
* Cutting back on the number of core classes
* Removing all half-races from the game
* Cleat and concise instructions on how to create balanced game mechanics like feats, magic items, prestige classes, etc.

One small request regarding this thread, please keep it on topic and avoid the characteristic 4e bashing. Think of this as an idea pool to refine the game the way you'd like to see it go. So what do you want to see incorporated into 4e rules?

Zander

Explorer
Ghostwind said:
* Spell point casting system
I'll second that one and add:

* More core classes including swashbuckler, assassin
* Westernised monk
* Swashbucklers to be the best two weapon combatants i.e. have the smallest penalties, followed by rogues, assassins, monks, barbarians, rangers, fighters, bards and paladins in that order.
* More core races including orc, lizardman, half-ogre, avariel, drow, svirfneblin
* Gnomes as druid and/or illusionist focused, not bardic
* Unified feats & skills rules
* Simplified melee combat: no more AoOs. Use initiative penalties instead.
* Simplified unarmed combat/grappling
* Initiative modifiers for some weapons (e.g. pikes, loaded crossbows)
* No SR. Use improved saves or immunities instead.
* Few or no spells in PHB. Have separate spell book instead.
* More class exclusive spells, especially arcane ones

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
Well lets see, right off the top of my head (can always add more later)..

Armor as Damage reduction (Fully done, dealing with natural armor, stacking of DR and bonuses etc)

Base-defense bonus based on class

Remove the Sorcerer, or make it into something truly indepenent from the Wizard.

Remove the concept of "arcane" and "divine" magic and simply have magic be magic and any differences handled on a specific class-by-class basis.

Balance the classes. Clerics dont need to be overpowered. Fighters should have some more options (many class abilities should simply be feats with stringent pre requsites). Allow Wizards to truly be masters of magic (expand their spell list to include things like Spell Resistance, Death Ward, Spell Immunity etc).

Remove the wealth/magic item assumptions

Possibly remove vancian magic and replace it with something akin to the Arcana Unearthed magic system, or at least present a different magic system as a core variant.

Remove all core-class alignment restrictions.

Have less built in assumptions about the origins and natures of classes and monsters. For instance, if you want to say your wizard has an inborn talent for magic, or if you want Outsiders to be spiritual beings that take physical form, you shouldnt have to work against the rules to do it.

I dont think the "number" of core classes should be reduced. Barbarian should not be a core class, and Sorcerer needs to be removed or made into something more than just a spontaneous wizard, but I'd actually like to see some new themed caster classes, like maybe a deccent Elementalist.

Continue to work on spell balance. Make damage-dealing a viable magic option. Make "save or dies" less all or nothing, and make spells like Death Ward..basically less all or nothing to. Less total spells...instead of immunity, give save bonuses or resistances.

Thats just off the top of my head, I'm sure more will come to me.

Mista Collins

First Post
Too be honest, I like 3.x the way it is. I can not think of enough significant changes to warrant a 4e, maybe just a 3.5.1 or something like that :).

I do like the idea of Armor as DR. I also agree that there needs to be less core classes, and more prestige classes. I love PrCs.

I think more cleat and concise instructions on how to create balanced game mechanics like feats, magic items, prestige classes, etc would be excellent.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Mista Collins said:
Too be honest, I like 3.x the way it is. I can not think of enough significant changes to warrant a 4e, maybe just a 3.5.1 or something like that :).

I do like the idea of Armor as DR. I also agree that there needs to be less core classes, and more prestige classes. I love PrCs.

I think more cleat and concise instructions on how to create balanced game mechanics like feats, magic items, prestige classes, etc would be excellent.

I like this response.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads