• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would an incontrovertible irrevocable OGL 2.0 look like?

Who gets to decide which counts as either?
the big company that owns it gets final say sort of... because like the Spell jammer debacle they have to respond when others accuse.

I personally think the TTRPG world is WORSE off for having driven teh book of errotic fantasy out of the circles... in a game full of immature (let face it) violance some immature sex shouldn't be off limits.. but I didn't get the last say (except at my table where kiss of life and some other spells still live)

But at the end of teh day teh people who own it get to choose.

I think that giving Hasbro thinking they should have any sort of oversight or veto power is the reason the current brouhaha is happening. An open license is only open if it doesn't allow for someone to cancel someone else's ability to use it based on their own arbitrary interpretation of their work.
SO you think that if someone made a book like teh G word book from White wolf and put it out with "Compatible with D&D" they shouldn't care? When Twitter or what ever explodes saying it's racist WotC and hasbro should just be like "Lol not us this time"?

Scribe

Legend
but again they get to say what they will and wont allow, and what outrage to listen to and what ones not to... it's still them that should have the final say.

Why? They are just a greedy exploitive corporation paying lip service to any social good out of a profit motive.

Why should I have morality dictated by them?

Scribe

Legend
because it is there IP

If they are in the business of monetization of morality, they can keep their license then.

I'm not sure how "Spell Level" or "Drow" or "Beholder" has any relevance to any given skewed interpretation of what is socially acceptable at any given moment, but I do know that I'm certainly not going to look to Hasbro-WotC, to give me a green light in that regard.

Remove ads