• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What are the top 3 things, above all else, you want from One DnD?

gametaku

Explorer
1. Removal of ability scores and modifiers. Instead, Ability Checks, Attack Rolls, and Saving Throws would use no proficiency, half proficiency, full proficiency or double proficiency (Expertise).

2. Making all skills and saving throws no longer just succeed or fail by default in the PHB. Those rolls would have degrees of success ranges with minimum options being fail, success with consequences and success.
2b. Attack rolls could use the same idea, but DM would no longer roll attacks. A player's roll would have one of the following results.
  • They miss and DM choices action(s) based on the Weapon, Spell, Monster, Environment or other factors.
  • They hit and like a miss the DM choices an action as above. Not sure if the DM's action take place before the players attack resolve or not.
  • They hit and the DM takes no action.
3. AI Players.

mostly by being sufficiently unclear to require imagination to make it work in any fashion ;)

No, make everything as clear as possible, which is basically the opposite of Gygaxian. It’s not even RAW, make it clearer than that.

I like the sentiment, but clearly there are limitations to this. How do you e.g. envision combat to be resolved?

Everything as clear as possible? 4E tried that and everyone hated it!

As for how I envision a game's combat that's all about avoiding rules? Like this!

mamba

Legend
not for its clarity though

As to combat, that is so very different from D&D, there is no way you will be getting that, in 1DD or ever. You are looking for a different game, not a tweak / change to D&D

Last edited:

To prevent abuse. If they can do it at will, they will do it at will. If this is fine for you, perfect. But, for me, it is a Pandora Box. :)
tie it to component cost, time, and knowladge... at will and slots are not the only options
Edit: teleport circle is perfect... you can't go "anywhere at will" you can go to a preset gate you know the pass key to, and have it cost time and money.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

As for how I envision a game's combat that's all about avoiding rules? Like this!

Boot Hill had quite complex and deadly combat by the rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads