We Still Need ORC

Reynard

Legend
Sounds more like a recipe to get the OGL deemed unenforceable by a judge. Product Identity is not an actual legal concept.
But it is defined in the contract.

Anway, it isn't important. My point is just this: Open Gaming as not just a way to make money but an actually philosophical perspective and active artistic endeavor is worth the trouble, and having an unimpeachable document in support of that has value -- even if "technically legally" it isn't necessary. Moreover, it is worth abandoning WotC entirely from an Open Gaming perspective and never again letting them define the terms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But it is defined in the contract.

Anway, it isn't important. My point is just this: Open Gaming as not just a way to make money but an actually philosophical perspective and active artistic endeavor is worth the trouble, and having an unimpeachable document in support of that has value -- even if "technically legally" it isn't necessary. Moreover, it is worth abandoning WotC entirely from an Open Gaming perspective and never again letting them define the terms.
I mean, if they join the ORC that's just working as intended by Paizo and company. And since these are business set up to make money, I doubt too many will complain of the market leader is open for use.

Reynard

Legend
I mean, if they join the ORC that's just working as intended by Paizo and company. And since these are business set up to make money, I doubt too many will complain of the market leader is open for use.
But as you just argued: we don;t need them. they put the SRD in Creative Commons.

Or are you maybe suggesting all is not sunshine and rainbows as it is?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But as you just argued: we don;t need them. they put the SRD in Creative Commons.

Or are you maybe suggesting all is not sunshine and rainbows as it is?
Never sunshine and rainbows: life is pain, anyone who says different is trying to sell you something.

Who "needs" any of this? RPGs existed decades with"Open Gaming," but it's nice to have. If ORC takes off and creators ate able to make products for D&D, great.

Reynard

Legend
Who "needs" any of this? RPGs existed decades with"Open Gaming," but it's nice to have. If ORC takes off and creators ate able to make products for D&D, great
First, just because it took a while for an idea to appear doesn't mean it isn't good. Open Gaming was a positive development in the hobby and industry.

Second, this isn't just about D&D any more. Having a trusted, secure standard across the industry is a good thing for publishers, creators and consumers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
First, just because it took a while for an idea to appear doesn't mean it isn't good. Open Gaming was a positive development in the hobby and industry.

Second, this isn't just about D&D any more. Having a trusted, secure standard across the industry is a good thing for publishers, creators and consumers.
Sure, but mu h more so if D&D is available under terms "Open Gaming" enthusiasts prefer to CC.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
You see "open gaming" is the more closed system that depends on a just trust us vibe, whereas Creative Commons is the actually open system, with the law on its side.

Remove ads