• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wacky Monk/caster question

jaker2003

Explorer
Can an unarmed strike successfully deliver a touch spell that requires a melee touch attack?
My first instinct is YES, as an unarmed strike must overcome armor that a touch attack could deliver on contact.

Examples:
A Mnk1/Drd1 is enjoying a produce flame spell. He strikes an opponent with his unarmed strike, does the produce flame spell deal additional damage to the opponent as well?

A Sor1 has cast a shocking grasp spell, but becomes so upset that her ally pinched her bottom that she turns to slap him. Is the ally 'shocked' by her slap?

What if the attack roll is too low to overcome the full Armor Class of the target, but is sufficient to overcome his touch AC? Does the unarmed strike fail to do its damage, but the spell successfully delivered?

Arkhandus

First Post
Yes, you can deliver touch spells with an unarmed strike or a claw or the like. It'll use a normal attack then, and the touch spell won't hit if the normal attack misses.

Gloombunny

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Yes, you can deliver touch spells with an unarmed strike or a claw or the like. It'll use a normal attack then, and the touch spell won't hit if the normal attack misses.
You do get to hold the charge and try again on subsequent rounds, though. On the downside, getting a crit won't double your spell's damage. :(

Vegepygmy

First Post
Arkhandus and Gloombunny have correctly covered the basics.

Note that technically, produce flame is not a Touch spell. It has a range of 0 feet. (I would, however, treat it the same as one for these purposes.)

Jack Simth

First Post
Vegepygmy said:
Arkhandus and Gloombunny have correctly covered the basics.

Note that technically, produce flame is not a Touch spell. It has a range of 0 feet. (I would, however, treat it the same as one for these purposes.)
Produce Flame is an Effect spell, and as part of the effect, you can make touch attacks both in melee and at range.

But yeah - your hand is on fire, of course it does a little fire damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads