• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The WotC OGL Release on DDB today was edited in real time!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I thought we all said "nat 20" or "nat 1."
We do at my table. I also spent a few years trying to get everyone to say "unnatural 20" when they rolled something else and the modifiers made the result a 20, but it didn't catch on. Then we get a new player who introduces the term "dirty twenty" after she's barely been there a week, and suddenly everyone's saying it. :cautious:

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
We do at my table. I also spent a few years trying to get everyone to say "unnatural 20" when they rolled something else and the modifiers made the result a 20, but it didn't catch on. Then we get a new player who introduces the term "dirty twenty" after she's barely been there a week, and suddenly everyone's saying it. :cautious:
The obviously correct answer is: synthetic 20.

More that a pet peeve is applying to this situation.

How is removing royalties, explicitly allowing cosplay and live streams, not taking ownership of content, allowing old OGL content to still be sold NOT "meaningful, concrete steps to correct their hostile actions"??
WotC pretty much gave the fans almost everything they asked for. But because it wasn't 100% of their demands it was the same as if they'd done nothing.
What would be acceptable? Reparations? Public humiliation?

Go through the thread here OGL - WotC Walks Back Some OGL Changes, But Not All and maybe the one on Reddit Then tell me how many people forgave WotC. Even partially.
How many people still seem just as angry as the day before. Or more angry as now they have the language in the statement to attack as well?
Because the things they didn't change? Are the problem!

The thing that needed to happen was a complete walkback and a re-commitment to the OGL, preferably with releasing language stating they cannot alter the existing license! The entire problem is that they thought they could do this in the first place, that they could do it in the dark, and that they tried to buffalo their content creators with a gun to their heads!

So yes, anything less than a complete walkback (and remember, we still have nothing but their promises here, which they've already proven are worthless) is entirely unacceptable, and they need to feel the heat directly to their bottom line for thinking they could try this crap in the FIRST place!

FormerLurker

Adventurer
I think this is a misunderstanding of the situation. This is not a "negotiation,"
It's either a negotiation or an extortion (by the fans).
the community and 3PPs were wronged by WotC. Even putting aside whether it's really true they gave fans "almost everything," imagine a person went into a public park, and chopped down all the trees that had been there for a generation. They disappear for a week and then replant a few trees during the night. When morning comes and they're confronted they ask "Geez why are you guys still mad, I replanted most of the trees."
Name one "tree" that was actually chopped down. Name one thing that actually changed.

In this metaphor, WotC threatened to cut down trees but never did. And other companies came up and planted even more trees.

FormerLurker

Adventurer
Yes actually. Instead of "almost everything they asked for" give fans "more than everything they asked for"

Absolutely it will be humiliating for the knuckleheads that though OGL 1.1 was a good idea.

Here are a couple ideas -

1. let 3PP publish and sell content on DND Beyond for free, with no formal agreement with WOTC and pay for programmers to integrate that material into the engine.

2. Stop taking a cut of DMSGuild products or alternatively stop taking a cut for a time.

3. Move the entire PHB (their best selling product) into the SRD and release it for free on DNDB similar to what they did with LMOP.

I don't think those things will happen, but they could happen and they would be good faith initiatives that would cost WOTC money in the short term and show they are serious.

WOTC made a bad business decision with the OGL 1.1 draft. They can and in a free-market economy should be punished financially for that poor decision.
Or they could rent a blimp and fly over GenCon throwing out handfuls of money...

FormerLurker

Adventurer
The thing that needed to happen was a complete walkback and a re-commitment to the OGL, preferably with releasing language stating they cannot alter the existing license! The entire problem is that they thought they could do this in the first place, that they could do it in the dark, and that they tried to buffalo their content creators with a gun to their heads!
Do they need to now, with the Paizo license in the works?

Remove ads