• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Chaosmancer

Legend
I expect they provide better lore than you just did. Your silly descriptions aren't convincing me of anything. And those are explanations. What I'm talking about is having this stuff happen with no explanation at all, ie, "I'm just that good".

How is skill not an explanation? Why can someone play Bach's 5th Symphony with only their left hand? Because they are just that good is a fine explanation. It includes their training, natural talents, ect.

"How can this doctor cut into a person, remove organs, and not kill them!" well... "because they are that good at medicine" is a perfectly fine explanation.

I expect they provide better lore than you just did. Your silly descriptions aren't convincing me of anything. And those are explanations. What I'm talking about is having this stuff happen with no explanation at all, ie, "I'm just that good".
i mean, i linked the maneuvers. you can check them yourself. you'll find that, aside from perfect assault, i put at least as much detail into my explanations for how they work as the game did (albeit with a mild touch of exaggeration for amusement purposes - that tendency can seep into my tone sometimes).

unless you mean the lore for combat maneuvers in general, in which case...yeah, no, that basically just amounts to "skill honed through practice and willpower".

and my point was that explaining this kind of stuff is incredibly easy, and that you play a game that does it essentially the same way you've been rejecting from others. it's bizarre to see.

Vaalingrade

Legend
But the spirits are a natural part of the world, and people are born benders. It is in their blood. So, are spirits supernatural? What about disembodied souls, if souls are natural, is a disembodied soul natural?
Again, the spirits literally come from a spirit world and described in-universe as supernatural. That's why the Avatar exists: the bridge the two.

This is overthinking it to an extreme.

The litmus test is whether the setting considers an element supernatural, not what we think about it personally.

And again, true naming. Is speaking another language supernatural?
Most settings consider it to be an ancient magic. Spellwright by Blake Charlton comes close to your question by having writing another language be the core of it's spellcasting system, so yes, speaking another language can be supernatural.

I will fully agree, magic needs to be called out as magic in-universe for it to be magic. But the term "supernatural" is a term that stands opposed to "natural". And in the context of a fantasy world, what is natural for that world can get very very fuzzy. So, I think it is fine for Supernatural to be established as from the perspective of the audience, as it makes the clearest sense as "opposed to the Earth IRL"
Now you're going the other direction where you're saying 'natural' means 'existing'.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, yes and no.

Batman making a contigency plan sounds mundane and something any normal human can do.
Batman creating a secondary sleeper persona, buried in his psyche, in case of mind control. Okay, "I live in a world where mind control is possible" means that in theory coming up with a plan for that is possible, but it is certainly fantastic to create an entire subconcious, secondary mind to protect yourself against psychic attacks.

I can make a contigency plan. I can't create a secondary mind inside of my mind. Batman did, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear a writer say he has a third personality buried under that one.
But I don't think anyone is calling for Second personas... Yet

What is being asked for is "My level 10 warmaster has 30 Brainpower. I spend 5 Brainpower to have a contingency plan against fiends and undead."

Or simply say "Spend X, ignore natural penalties and get bonus.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The same way I explain everything.

1) Those are the rules in the book, that allow me to do that. "Why can your druid heal as a non-spell bonus action?" "Because that is what the ability says"

2) Whatever fits for the particular character. I had a rogue whose uncanny dodge came from him beginning to overcome his anxiety. He was always that fast, he was just overthinking things because of trauma, and so at level 5 he had worked through it enough to overcome that. Why can my non-magic using Beast Barbarian grow fangs, claws and back tentacles? Because the spirits of the forest were enraged when the necromancer he is hunting defiled a sacred grove, and are inhabiting his soul. Why did the Storm Herald barbarian catch everything on fire when they raged? Because they had fire elemental blood in their veins. Why was my artificer able to cast thorn whip? He made a steel cable weapon.

You want the explanation before the ability and before the character. That isn't how this works. The explanation is the LAST part, the first part is actually creating the ability.
That is certainly one way to do it, and different methods work for different people.

Micah Sweet

How is skill not an explanation? Why can someone play Bach's 5th Symphony with only their left hand? Because they are just that good is a fine explanation. It includes their training, natural talents, ect.

"How can this doctor cut into a person, remove organs, and not kill them!" well... "because they are that good at medicine" is a perfectly fine explanation.
To me, whether or not an action is possible in real life matters and should be acknowledged. To you, it doesn't, and acknowledgement is unnecessary and apparently damaging to your fun. That's all this is.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i think i have a better question than 'explain how a martial can do these things without magic?'

explain why we actually have to justify this to you and your unreachable goalposts?

Micah Sweet

i think i have a better question than 'explain how a martial can do these things without magic?'

explain why we actually have to justify this to you and your unreachable goalposts?
You don't. I'm advocating for my preference, just like everybody else. Not sure why I keep getting attacked for it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think D&D would have a way different set of rules for combat if it was first popular with jocks and rockers instead of nerds and theater kids.

Because MAN do we underestimate how crazy a humaniod with 18 STR or DEX who does almost nothing but train combat action would look like

I mean real life has people who can hit small balls going 80-100MPH and having some control over the trajectory of the ricochet.

Imagine if they were even more yoked naturally and spent 1/3 their day practicing to kill people and monsters.

Remove ads