• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 The impact of revised 3E on monster design

Knight Otu

First Post
I guess most of us have seen the new pit fiend on ENWorld's Revised Info page. The pit fiend, and some of the other text on that page, give us hints at what changes monster design will have to go through.

- No more odd facings, like the horse had. All facings becoe squares, based on the Size category.

- Damage reduction experiences a massive overhaul, being based more on special materials, but in exchange being reduced to 5, 10 or 15. 15 seems to be the maximum. In fact, all reduction abilities, including energy resistances, seem to be destined to be reduced.

- This also leads to certain "half damage by weapon type" being treated as actual DR, such as the 5/blunt DR for skeletons.

- Outsiders seem to get feats as characters now, 1 feat for every 3 HD they have. This gives most outsiders 1 or two extra feats.

- Tactics blocks for creatures that have many and/or unusual abilities seem to be added (I don't really believe a dire rat deserves a tactics block). This could be expected in the future.

Edit - Skill points for Outsiders seem to be as character skills now, multiplied by 4 at first "level". As a guess, I suppose that dragons will be handled similarly with feats and skills.

- More descriptors/subtypes for creatures. At least Outsider families (ie Baatezu) now seem to be subypes. This might extend to other subfamilies, but this is still speculation.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
not sure yet how all that will affect us here at the CC. time will tell. i'm planning on buying the new MM (old one is so falling apart), but the jury is out on whether or not i will fork out the cash for the other two, any time soon.

Knight Otu

First Post
BOZ said:
not sure yet how all that will affect us here at the CC. time will tell.
I understand that it would be a hell of work to update it, but I hope it will happen. :)

i'm planning on buying the new MM (old one is so falling apart), but the jury is out on whether or not i will fork out the cash for the other two, any time soon.
The beautyful thing is that you don't have to pay for most things, as they'll be in the SRD. I'll likely use this option. (I hope someone creates a nice clean pdf as it happened with the Modern SRD.

I'm trying to compile the important (for us creature creators ;)) into this thread when it pops up, so that we can slowly prepare. :) (and hoping that there isn't too much outdated stuff, like with the teleport/greater teleport thing ;))

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
as a matter of fact, i just sent an e-mail to scott on this subject. when he replies, i'll post it here.

Knight Otu

First Post
Sure, that's great. :)

I don't want to promise anything yet, but if you decide to go with the revisions, I might be able to help. But, as said, no promises yet.

(And a sidenote totally unrelated to this edit - I hate this browser! :mad: )

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
I won't really comment on the changes in the revised books until I have read them myself, but it is nice to know that someone other than me is buying a new MM due to the old one falling apart from use...

Knight Otu: Theres a modern SRD? Can you point me in it's direction, please? :D

Knight Otu

First Post
Do you mean the pdf version? I'll have to dig it out. The actual MSRD can be found here.

Edit: Here is a link to the pdf file version, but I have'nt tried if it still works..

Last edited:

Remove ads