• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Epic Game: Character Construction (Phase I)

Zack2216

First Post
I think that we should atleast try to make 50 work. Yes character concepts run dry as some, well, to put it bluntly, trample others. I think that it is possible to work past that, and should be tried. Weilding great power doesn't mean we have to use it, but we must be curtious enough to not use it constantly without regard of the consequences. If a player does, then we can do something about it. It's not like the gods wander around randomly destroying cities...(I think. Maybe they do. I don't think they would. Fearun is still there isn't it?)

Please with sugar on top?:D

Sorry, had to get that out of my system...

Last edited:

Kalanyr

Explorer
I don't really object to level 50 I just object to the way it renders non-munchkin characters who aren't Druids or Fighter-types pretty much helpless (except for some of the funny scaling spells/powers like Control Winds that get rather powerful and the Paragon and Pseudonatural template).

Also the second problem is that their are rather huge gulfs in the power levels just between party members, while these characters don't necessarily have to wield it, no one wants to play a 1st level commoner in a party of 5th level fighters even though the fighters don't have to use their feats.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Initially we had a lot of people interested in this.

My suggestion, if we can get 2 DMs, is to split the game in half.

Just create a seperate game for 25-27th level and go ahead with the 50th level game. Heck. You could even play in both if you wanted.

I think the reasonable think would be to lower the ECL too. We can make near godly munchkins with lower ECLs too, but they probably would still be more "fleshy". If you think about it level 50 characters can pretty much get everything they desire, and almost none can stand up to them. So watch their goal, to rule the world or even the universe, or maybe save them from a similar super power, that's pretty much it.

Zorkion

First Post
Personally, I think ECL around 35 would be pretty ideal. It'd leave a lot of room for experiment, and would still allow most character concepts. The question is if anybody would be willing to DM a game like that.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Zorkion said:
Personally, I think ECL around 35 would be pretty ideal. It'd leave a lot of room for experiment, and would still allow most character concepts. The question is if anybody would be willing to DM a game like that.

That is my favored range as well. Levels 21-27 don't really seem "that" epic to me. They seem Dragon Slaying Epic, but not Destroy a lord of the nine epic. 28-38 is where I would consider hunting down a lord of the nine who was "weakened" for some reason. Beyond that though... your challenging gods... which is just not fun.

I really can't run this game and everything else I already do, so I won't run it. I will be perfectly fine with being a VERY helpful player though. I could easily draw up maps, write story hooks, and all the fun stuff, but I don't want to be the question answering guy.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
As much as I hate to, I'll be dropping out of this one.

It occured to me how much I was overextending myself.

I'm already in four other games. :rolleyes:

Good luck guys! Have fun! The looks like it will be a blast.

If you want I can attempt to run the game, although under strict circumstances-It has to be stationary, but this might not be so bad, it would be like a large tournament where the epic characters can compete, true ressurections after matches-alot of gold at stake in matches, different kinds of events. Also, a couple of adventures inside the area, but not alot of adventuring outwards. It would be easy to adjucate since most fighters would do most of the battles themselves, with the DM only stepping in if they fight NPCs, for reactions of the crowd, moderating the fights, and similar. I would ask to play in this environment too, but someone else would judge, during the fights I would do.

Remove ads