• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sundering

Lord Ben

First Post
Okay, in order to sunder you need a weapon at least equal to the enhancement on the other weapon right? Can a +2 quarterstaff sunder a +1 greatsword (assuming it damages it enough) or is hardness a factor as well?

Shatterspike is a +1 longsword that can sunder higher weapons right? Anything else like items or feats that can do this?

kreynolds

First Post
Lord Ben said:
Okay, in order to sunder you need a weapon at least equal to the enhancement on the other weapon right?

Yup.

Lord Ben said:
Can a +2 quarterstaff sunder a +1 greatsword

Yes.

Lord Ben said:
(assuming it damages it enough)

Exactly.

Lord Ben said:
or is hardness a factor as well?

Yes. The hardness of the weapon you are striking is a factor. The hardness of your weapon is not a factor unless your weapon is the one being sundered.

Lord Ben said:
Shatterspike is a +1 longsword that can sunder higher weapons right?

More or less. I don't have that module with me right now.

Lord Ben said:
Anything else like items or feats that can do this?

There are some homebrew weapon enhancements like that floating around. You might be able to find them in the House Rule forum.

Jeremy

Explorer
I believe sunder has text that states it can only be done with slashing weapons. I could be wrong. Lemme look.

PHB pg 136:

"You can use a melee attack with a slashing weapon to strike a weapon or shield that your opponent is holding. The attacking weapon must be no more than one size category smaller than the weapon attacked."

So while you meet the requirements for magical enhancement bonuses and size requirements, you missed the slashing weapon requirement. :(

Also, in your statement you said "or does hardness matter". I take this to mean you double-checking that a steel sword could for example still slice a harder adamantine sword provided the steel sword had an equal or greater enhancement bonus---which would be correct. Hardness does not correlate when checking if you can sunder or not. But it does still matter as it affects the amount of damage you must do. Just wanted to clarify.

Also you asked if there were feats to help out.. As far as I know there are feats like improved sunder and great sunder in places like oriental adventures and the psionics handbook. Psionics handbook is OGL so go to www.opengamingfoundation.org to check it's feats out. I'll see if I can't find the oriental adventures sunder feat.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Jeremy said:
So while you meet the requirements for magical enhancement bonuses and size requirements, you missed the slashing weapon requirement. :(

That's...just...odd. So...you can't sunder a shield with a warhammer? Yeah. That makes a lot of sense. Excuse me while I whip out my rule 0 notebook. :)

hong

WotC's bitch
Jeremy said:

Actually, this has been errataed in the 2nd printing to allow bludgeoning weapons as well. I think we can assume that if you're going to smash someone's sword with your staff, you won't be hitting the edge. :)

Hong "IKWYIM ATIYD" Ooi

kreynolds

First Post
hong said:
Actually, this has been errataed in the 2nd printing to allow bludgeoning weapons as well. I think we can assume that if you're going to smash someone's sword with your staff, you won't be hitting the edge. :)

Woohoo! :D

hong said:
Hong "IKWYIM ATIYD" Ooi

And Think I You Do? :confused:

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
Yay errata. :)

I still haven't found the feat/enchantment/special ability that I'm thinking of.

Great Sunder is in the Psionics handbook, as is a weapon that allows you to use the feat 1/day without actually having the feat.

Improved Sunder is in Enemies and Allies...

But I could have sworn I'd seen a feat or some mechanic that when employed allowed you to do double damage for the purposes of sundering.

<scratches his head>

Macbrea

First Post
Thats ok, you cannot cut a net with a dagger or shortsword. As both are piercing weapons.

Logic says that rule should just been left out and the statement at the bottom about some weapons can be determined to be ineffective against certian objects.

Macbrea

First Post
On that note:

Magic Weapons and Shields

The attacker cannot damage a magic weapon or shield that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck. Each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points. If a combatant's shield has a +2 enhancement bonus, a combatant add 2 to its hardness and to its hit points.

The actual rules for breaking a shield or weapon only require an enhancement bonus. Does this mean an admantine bastardsword which grants a natural +2 enhancement bonus can break a longsword +1?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads