Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

Cleon

Legend
Ahh, oops. We should remove the question marks, then!

LA +4 is ok.

The question marks were intended more as a general "special qualities not completely decided" reminder than a reference to the immunity to poison, but it's time to remove them regardless.

Updating the Sheneya Working Draft.

Ready for tactics and flavor?

Sure, or we could do the description.

Whichever you fancy, basically.

Are we adding an In Ravenloft subentry?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Isn't Zakhara attached to the Forgotten Realms, not Ravenloft? But, anyway, I don't see much setting specific, unless the Grand Snakemaster is worth mentioning.

It just occurred to me that the snake form probably shouldn't be able to use the mesmerizing dance. I mean, can snakes dance?

And I think the humanoid form AC should be 13. Just looks like a copy-paste error there.

Are we using "sheneya" for the plural as well as single forms? I think that sounds pretty good anyway.

Tactics: Sheneya typically fight in hybrid form, biting when possible to dose enemies with her natural poison. They prefer to fight incapacitated foes, so she uses her mesmerizing dance ability to disorient her opponents, especially against groups or stronger enemies. They also often coat their weapons with common poisons.

If called upon to act in secret, sheneya enjoy approaching slumbering or otherwise helpless victims as cobras and watching them die from poison.

If a sheneya is attacked in humanoid form in pubilc, she will often act like an innocent bystander to attract help from the crowd and slip away. She will only fight in humanoid form as a last resort.

Cleon

Legend
Isn't Zakhara attached to the Forgotten Realms, not Ravenloft? But, anyway, I don't see much setting specific, unless the Grand Snakemaster is worth mentioning.

The original sourcebook was a Ravenloft product, but like a lot of unique Ravenloft monsters Shenya started out on another plane (in this case the Forgotten Realms) before being carried off by Ravenloft's mists.

It just occurred to me that the snake form probably shouldn't be able to use the mesmerizing dance. I mean, can snakes dance?

Dancing to mesmerize prey is a traditional folkloric power of snakes, so I'm quite happy to let her use it in snake form.

If a Necrophidious can do it why not a "werecobra".

And I think the humanoid form AC should be 13. Just looks like a copy-paste error there.

Yes, it was just a copy-paste error. Easy to fix.

Are we using "sheneya" for the plural as well as single forms? I think that sounds pretty good anyway.

Since the original was a unique creature we don't have a precedent for a plural. The current working draft uses "sheneyas" with two cases in the Skills entry.

I'd be OK changing it to "sheneya" for both the nouns.

EDIT: I guess I should inquire which you prefer! /EDIT

Tactics: Sheneya typically fight in hybrid form, biting when possible to dose enemies with her natural poison. They prefer to fight incapacitated foes, so she uses her mesmerizing dance ability to disorient her opponents, especially against groups or stronger enemies. They also often coat their weapons with common poisons.

If called upon to act in secret, sheneya enjoy approaching slumbering or otherwise helpless victims as cobras and watching them die from poison.

If a sheneya is attacked in humanoid form in pubilc, she will often act like an innocent bystander to attract help from the crowd and slip away. She will only fight in humanoid form as a last resort.

Hmm… I'll have to mull this over for a bit.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend

Okay, how's this:

Sheneyas do not like to fight and would rather kill victims who are incapacitated by sleep, their mesmerizing dance ability, or other means. They typically flee if threatened. Sheneyas who are attacked in humanoid guise will often pretend to be innocent damsels to seek help from a crowd and slip away.

A sheneya who faces combat normally performs a mesmerizing dance ability and then switches to her bite or weapon attacks. While she prefers to fight in hybrid form, the sheneya may avoid doing so if it risks exposing her true nature to the public. A sheneya who is trying to hide her identity is likely to secretly assume cobra form before attacking, she will only fight in humanoid form as a last resort. Sheneya weapons are often coated with poison.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I'd leave off the setting-specific underbar. There's not a lot setting-specific there, and it's not clear if she's really an FR or Ravenloft critter.

Yeah, I guess the snake form having the dance is ok, though I always thought that snake dancing was the person charming the snake, not the other way round.

I prefer "sheneya" for both single and plural forms, but I'm not bothered if you really want to add the "s" to the end.

Tactics look good!
Description: A humanoid woman with a shimmering appearance to her skin, almost like scales.
Background: Sheneya are the result of mating between a normal humanoid and a magically-disguised reptilian. They often work as assassins and secret agents for scaly masters...

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd leave off the setting-specific underbar. There's not a lot setting-specific there, and it's not clear if she's really an FR or Ravenloft critter.

Yeah, I guess the snake form having the dance is ok, though I always thought that snake dancing was the person charming the snake, not the other way round.

I prefer "sheneya" for both single and plural forms, but I'm not bothered if you really want to add the "s" to the end.

Tactics look good!

Works for me. I'm OK making the plural Sheneya - I'd better check while updating to make sure I remove all the "sheneyas".

Description: A humanoid woman with a shimmering appearance to her skin, almost like scales.
Background: Sheneya are the result of mating between a normal humanoid and a magically-disguised reptilian. They often work as assassins and secret agents for scaly masters...

Seems a bit bland.

Let me think about it a bit. There's a fair amount of flavourful stuff in the original material we could work in.

Cleon

Legend
Let me think about it a bit. There's a fair amount of flavourful stuff in the original material we could work in.

Okay, here goes nothing…

A creature with the shape of a slender humanoid, but completely hairless and with the fangs and scaly skin of a venomous serpent.

Sheneya are very rare creatures that are created by the mating of a female humanoid and a magical cobra that assumed humanoid form. The mother normally dies from the sheneya's poisonous blood when the monster is born. Sheneyas often work as spies and assassins, either independently or in service to their serpentine creator.

A sheneya in hybrid and humanoid forms has the same height as a human but is extremely slim, weighing three-quarters as much as a human. In animal form its weight is unchanged and its length is about 20 feet from nose to tail tip.

Sheneya speak Common and Draconic.

Cleon

Legend
You're welcome to pick one from the Shapeshifter list:

Catwere, Devil Swine, Weredog, Weredolphin, Weredragon, Weregorilla, Weremako, Weremole, Wereowl, Werespider.

I guess we should also consider whether to both doing an ordinary "Werecobra" using the standard Lycanthrope template on the SRD Large Viper or maybe stretch the rules and apply it to the CC's magical beast Giant Cobra conversion?

We've already done a few Magical Beast werecreatures with the Greater Wererats, after all.

The problem I have is that while both produce a Werecobra with the right Hit Dice (namely 4) the template would produce a Large sized Hybrid form, which doesn't seem right.

Here's a Homebrew of a Large Viper Lycanthrope I happen to have lying about. I'm thinking a 2 HD Medium Viper would work better as a base creature.

Wereviper, Human Form
Medium Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 plus 3d8 (18 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 chainshirt, +2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Rapier +4 melee (1d6+1/18–20) or composite shortbow [+1 Str] +3 ranged (1d6+1/×3)
Full Attack: Rapier +4 melee (1d6+1/18–20) or composite shortbow [+1 Str] +3 ranged (1d6+1/×3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Alternate form, viper empathy, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: X
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Iron Will (B), Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Temperate marshes
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Wereviper, Viper Form
Large Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy, poison
Special Qualities: Alternate form, viper empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8

Wereviper, Hybrid Form
Large Humanoid (Human, Shapechanger)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Rapier +5 melee (1d8+1/18–20) or claw +5 melee (1d6+1) or composite shortbow [+1 Str] +5 ranged (1d8+1/×3)
Full Attack: Rapier +5 melee (1d8+1/18–20) and claw +0 melee (1d6) and bite +0 melee (1d8); or 2 claws +5 melee (1d6+1) and bite +0 melee (1d8); or composite shortbow [+1 Str] +5 ranged (1d8+1/×3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy
Special Qualities: Alternate form, viper empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8

The Wereviper presented here is a 1st-level human warrior and natural lycanthrope, using the following base ability scores: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

COMBAT
Tactics.

Alternate Form (Su): A wereviper can assume the form of a viper or a viper-humanoid hybrid.

Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid or giant hit by a wereviper’s bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy.

Viper Empathy (Ex): Communicate with vipers, and +4 racial bonus on Charisma-based checks against vipers.

Poison (Ex): A wereviper in animal form has a poisonous bite that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Con, Fort DC 12. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Skills: Werevipers have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks.

A wereviper in animal form can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. Werevipers use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.

A wereviper in animal form has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Remove ads