Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, it does look like we've got the special abilities covered.

As for the red text in Alternate Form, that ability usually grants a +10 bonus on Disguise checks to appear as the non-natural form. We could reduce that to something like +4 or +5 due to the temperature and lack of hair.

Cleon

Legend
OK, it does look like we've got the special abilities covered.

As for the red text in Alternate Form, that ability usually grants a +10 bonus on Disguise checks to appear as the non-natural form. We could reduce that to something like +4 or +5 due to the temperature and lack of hair.

That seems like too large a large reduction. I get the impression she just looks like she shaves all over, and the cool body temperature presumably would normally require body contact to have a chance of noticing.

Her entire modus operandi is pretending to be a human, so presumably she'd be pretty good at it.

I was thinking +8 or possibly +6.

There's also the possibility that she uses "disguise kits" of some sort to compensate for the weaknesses of her Alternate Form.

freyar

I can go for +8 and a note that disguise kits per the SRD are commonly found among their gear.

Alignment, treasure, and advancement seem ok to me. Warm Lands for environment, I think. For skills, she has 28 points, or 4 skills at max ranks. Perform (dance) is certainly one. I think I'd probably go with Disguise, Tumble, and perhaps Use Rope for the others. I'd let her racial bonuses cover the rest of the likely skills.

Cleon

Legend
I can go for +8 and a note that disguise kits per the SRD are commonly found among their gear.

I can live with that.

Updating the Sheneya Working Draft with:

In humanoid form, a sheneya is unable to use its bite natural attack. Its humanoid form is that of a unique individual of a humanoid race native to the sheneya's land of origin (typically human). In humanoid form a sheneya's skin is still as cold, smooth and hairless as a snake, so if it uses this ability to create a disguise it only gains a +8 bonus to Disguise checks when camouflaged as a normal humanoid (sheneya routinely use disguise kits to compensate for this weakness). A sheneya gains the full +10 Disguise bonus from alternate form if it has a cold-blooded or reptilian humanoid form, such as a locathah or lizardfolk.

Alignment, treasure, and advancement seem ok to me. Warm Lands for environment, I think. For skills, she has 28 points, or 4 skills at max ranks. Perform (dance) is certainly one. I think I'd probably go with Disguise, Tumble, and perhaps Use Rope for the others. I'd let her racial bonuses cover the rest of the likely skills.

I like Disguise and Tumble.

The SRD Medium Viper puts all five of its SPs into Hide, so I'm thinking we ought to put some SPs into Hide while the larger varieties put some spare SPs into Listen and Spot so I'd put some points in those.

If we had any to spare I'd invest them in Move Silently but I'm not sure whether we do.

How about:

Balance - 0 ranks
Climb - 0 ranks
Disguise - 5 ranks
Hide - 5 ranks
Listen - 1 rank
Move Silently - 4 ranks
Perform (dance) - 7 ranks
Spot - 1 rank
Swim - 0 ranks
Tumble - 5 ranks

Cleon

Legend
Last edited:

freyar

Well, one can start with either LA or CR; they're not necessarily related exactly. We also need to decide on immunity to poison --- I don't see that in the original monster write-up, though.

Anyway, as for CR, there aren't really any comparable SRD lycanthropes, but CR 5 seeems closest. Lamias at CR 6 definitely seem stronger. So, how does CR 5 sound? I guess comparing to a yuan-ti or other IP snake person might be a good idea, too.

Cleon

Legend
Well, one can start with either LA or CR; they're not necessarily related exactly. We also need to decide on immunity to poison --- I don't see that in the original monster write-up, though.

It's in the combat entry, and I quote:

"Also, the very blood in her veins is so infused with deadly venom that it makes Sheneya immune to all poisons."

Anyway, as for CR, there aren't really any comparable SRD lycanthropes, but CR 5 seeems closest. Lamias at CR 6 definitely seem stronger. So, how does CR 5 sound? I guess comparing to a yuan-ti or other IP snake person might be a good idea, too.

Well her snake stats are closest to a Large Viper, which is CR 2 and 3 HD, which would work out to CR 5 if the Lycanthrope Template applied.

'Course her abilities are quite different - her poison and mesmerizing dance are quite a bit more potent, but contrariwise the "or magic" in her damage reduction means most opponents will be able to hurt her.

So I guess CR 5 is OK by me.

As for CR, a Lycanthrope based on a 3-5 HD base animal has +3 LA and she's got those previously mentioned exploitable poison and dance powers.

I'd go for LA +3 or +4.

Remove ads