• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I think that's ok.

Looking through the working draft, I'm a bit lost on what we need to do next for these.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I think that's ok.

Looking through the working draft, I'm a bit lost on what we need to do next for these.

Well, let's figure out what redded special abilities of the Jackal Lord to delete and which to modify.

There's nothing in the original monster about it having SLAs like the Jackal Lord, but then there also is nothing in the pre-3E Jackalwere about it having SLAs either, and that's the creature the Jackalwere is a sort-of update of.

freyar

I'm game to include some SLAs. As it is, cat's grace seems oddly appropriate. :) I'd drop or replace change self, don't have an opinion on shadow walk and would keep the rest (assuming we keep SLAs at all). What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
I'm game to include some SLAs. As it is, cat's grace seems oddly appropriate. :) I'd drop or replace change self, don't have an opinion on shadow walk and would keep the rest (assuming we keep SLAs at all). What do you think?

I'm not bothered much either way, but if we are giving them SLAs à la the Jackal Lord, I'd be inclined to give the Panther Lord the same number and roughly the same spell level.

Oh heck, lets give it SLAs - it help distinguish the beast from a "regular" werepanther.

I quite the idea of keeping shadow walk - it seems appropriately mystical, and it is a sort-of match for the gaseous form ability Von Kharkhov has (albeit due to being a vampire).

freyar

Sure, let's keep shadow walk. By the way, I suggested swapping out change self, and we have to --- it's not a 3.5e spell! But I'd rather not use alter self either. I'm not quite sure what to put in for it, though.

I also don't see much justification to keep the casting ability.

Cleon

Legend
Sure, let's keep shadow walk. By the way, I suggested swapping out change self, and we have to --- it's not a 3.5e spell! But I'd rather not use alter self either. I'm not quite sure what to put in for it, though.

I'm fine with changing the "alter self" SLA. Disguising themselves as particular humanoids was a Jackalwere shtick, so we'd be better off giving the Panther Lord some alternative to it.

Maybe a mobility enhancing power such as longstrider, jump or expeditious retreat?

Or perhaps hide from animals or magic fang?

I also don't see much justification to keep the casting ability.

What, you can't see much justification for a creature with "the powers of a shaman or witch doctor" to have casting ability?

freyar

Hide from animals has some appeal, since it's pretty unusual for us to use, though magic fang might be more useful for the DM.

Ack, that line is really far back! I was just looking at von Kharkov, who doesn't seem to have casting, not going all the way back to the werepanther. This seems like a conflict.

Cleon

Legend
Hide from animals has some appeal, since it's pretty unusual for us to use, though magic fang might be more useful for the DM.

Shall we go for hide from animals then, just to be different?

Ack, that line is really far back! I was just looking at von Kharkov, who doesn't seem to have casting, not going all the way back to the werepanther. This seems like a conflict.

I'd definitely lean towards the MC Werepanther over Von Kharkov, so let's give it casting ability.

freyar

Yes, let's go with hide from animals. It's somewhat thematic, especially if we're going the shamanistic route.

OK on the casting. How about as an 8th level druid to match HD and shaman flavor?

Remove ads