• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reanimating the Boneshard

Roger

First Post
This is primarily a question for DMs.

The deathlock wight has an encounter ability called Reanimate: a destroyed undead creature gets back up with 1/4 hit points.

The boneshard skeleton has an ability called Boneshard Burst that happens when first bloodied and when reduced to 0 hit points: close burst 3, +8 vs Reflex, 2d6+3 damage.

So, say you had a wight that Reanimated his boneshard skeleton buddy.

Would you allow it to use its burst ability again when reduced to 0 hit points for the second time (for a total usage of 3 times)?

Cheers,
Roger

Starbuck_II

First Post
This is primarily a question for DMs.

The deathlock wight has an encounter ability called Reanimate: a destroyed undead creature gets back up with 1/4 hit points.

The boneshard skeleton has an ability called Boneshard Burst that happens when first bloodied and when reduced to 0 hit points: close burst 3, +8 vs Reflex, 2d6+3 damage.

So, say you had a wight that Reanimated his boneshard skeleton buddy.

Would you allow it to use its burst ability again when reduced to 0 hit points for the second time (for a total usage of 3 times)?

Cheers,
Roger
Um, not sure. It doesn't say when first reduced to 0, but then again, it probably assumes it will only happen once.
Over all, yeah I might.

frankthedm

First Post
Effects that go against what seems reasonable to me abound in 4E. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth much like how a dwarf gets to reduce the effect of forced movement, yet huge and gargantuan creatures don't.

On the other hand, they both are in the core MM, so I'd hope somebody took note of this and decided, "Yep, it can happen". After all the effect can reactivate a critter that been turned or blown to chunks by a high level daily, so I guess it is not that unreasonable for the boneshards of the Boneshard to reunite.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
I'd keep it at 2 times total...

Mark

It's an encounter power, so unless you stack up a bunch of the wights it'd be limited to 2 already.

Our GM had it blow up twice, and it made for a tense fight. We assumed it would blow up again the second time we killed it, so when it went down the second time we were really scared that it would turn out to be a rechargeable ability.

Mengu

First Post
I would call it good monster synergy, and would have no qualms about using Boneshard Burst three times, once when bloodied, and twice when destroyed.

Mercule

Adventurer
Either way. My first reaction is "DM is arbiter and this is over-ruled, plan accordingly". But, I'm actually not opposed to the idea, either. Again, DM fiat wins.

Griogre

First Post
I would let it go off the 3rd time. The characters/players expect it to happen and it might add a certain tension and the characters will probably act to either get out of the area or bolster whoever is still in the area if they can. This is all good. It may even lead to some pretty good role-playing as the characters make plans in character to try to minimize the damage to each other.

It will probably make the players go hard after Dreadlock Wights in the future. It is always good to have characters really dislike certain monsters, they feel so much better when they are defeated.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
I did exactly this a few session ago. In fact, I had three or four Deathlocks present, although only one of them got to use his reanimate.

Watching the PCs manoeuvre to keep the Boneshard away from them, refusing to attack it until it was out of range, was very enjoyable. And, damn were they scared when the Deathlock first stood it back up. Good fight.

It will probably make the players go hard after Dreadlock Wights in the future. It is always good to have characters really dislike certain monsters, they feel so much better when they are defeated.

Well, my PCs certainly learned to fear and hate Boneshards, at least. Next time one turned up, the cleric and wizard combined to get it away from the group, immobilise it and then hammer it until it was toast.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads