• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Shield Bash

The Digger

First Post
So I have a dwarven fighter with axe and shield and decide to give him this power. The problem is that his attack roll sucks!

On an attack using his +1 axe - eg Tide of Iron - he attacks with:
Strength + axe proficiency + axe expertise + enhancement + level + weapon talent. Once he hits he does Strength + dwarf weapon training + enhancement

But if he uses Brash Strike he gains +2 to attack (Str +2) but loses 2 from axe proficiency, 1 weapon expertise, 1 from the enhancement on the axe and 1 from fighter weapon talent - a net loss of 3 on his attack roll.

On damage he gains his wisdom bonus (Which is +3 fortunately) but loses 3 from weapon training and enhancement.

OK I can use the power when charging (+1) but am I likely to hit when I am still losing 2 on my net attack

Have I got this right?

+3 Str, +2 prof, +1 feat, +1 enhance, +1 level +1 class = +9
damage +3 str, +2 feat, +1 enhance = +6

RickVigorous

First Post
I assume you mean Shield Bash, not Brash Strike, in the third paragraph. But yes, your attack roll will be lower with this power; keep in mind, though, that it targets Ref, which is typically ~3 less than AC. So you should wind up hitting about as often with this as you do with Tide of Iron or slightly more often on the charge.

Mort_Q

First Post
It's not the strongest encounter power out there, but it is flavourful. As pointed out above, it does target reflex, which means it does balance out in many cases.

[edit]

On second thought, having re-read all the other first level fighter encounter powers, it's not that bad... it's more controller-ish than most, but still.

If you're still picking powers, I kind of like Cleave with the Cruel Cut Style feat, and later the Enduring Wallop feat (for a Dwarf in any case).

[/edit]

Last edited:

The Digger

First Post
I suppose it does target ref so it might be all right. I do like the idea of using it on a charge so I think I will hang on to it for a while.

Thanks folks for your lightning fast responses. You can always count on Enworld!!

tiornys

Explorer
I suppose it does target ref so it might be all right. I do like the idea of using it on a charge so I think I will hang on to it for a while.

Thanks folks for your lightning fast responses. You can always count on Enworld!!
It's all right for now, but you'll probably want to retrain it for something else in mid-late heroic. As your weapon enhancement gets better it just keeps getting worse by comparison. I'd consider a retrain once I had a +2 weapon, and it'd be gone the second I had a +3 one.

t~

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
It's all right for now, but you'll probably want to retrain it for something else in mid-late heroic. As your weapon enhancement gets better it just keeps getting worse by comparison. I'd consider a retrain once I had a +2 weapon, and it'd be gone the second I had a +3 one.

t~

I played a sword and board fighter as my first character in 4E for 6 months. Take it from my experience, this is wise advice.

Yeah, really any power that requires an attack roll and lacks either weapon or implement keywords is pretty much going to become useless past about 5th or 6th level generally. Kind of an unfortunate aspect of the whole level bonus architecture of 4e.

pascalnz

First Post
yeah, almost as bad as having a caster level system and bab for choices of abilities;P

but seriously, if they don't hand out bonuses to hit on powers without weapon or implement I'd have a good look and probably add them.
heck when it was pointed out how arse the lvl 11 radiant servant encounter was, cause it wasn't implement , they errated it.

tiornys

Explorer
It's a level one encounter power. Of course it'll become obsolete.
Most level 1 encounter powers are fine until you replace a power at level 13, and some builds keep their level 1 power longer than their level 3 or level 7 powers. This level 1 power gets obsoleted by other level 1 powers in mid to late heroic, thus the advice to retrain it.

t~

Remove ads