(Proposal) Prestige Class: Disciple of the Body

nimisgod

LEW Judge
I like the Disciple of Form a lot, though it might be a little underpowered. Is it safe to assume that these are monk PrCs? If so, you might want to allow them to advance the monk unarmed damage and AC. Obviously, not the monk speed, since that might lead to unexpected speeds.

One thing I might suggest is trying out a 5 level PrC. Some people like it and others don't, but it might be perfect for capturing a focused concept that allows for advancement in other PrCs.

Also, does the Mastery of Form stack with Haste?

On that note, the ability to haste one's self for a number of rounds a day might be a fitting ability for 10th level.

One more thing (i keep adding suggestions), also consider an initiative bonus for an ability.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Yeah, it's a neat idea, but I also think it might be underpowered. I'm guessing these are designed with Monks in mind?

Knight Otu

First Post
Well, maybe I'm just stupid tonight, but... Hit Dice? Skill points per level and class skills? I'd assume that it's the same as the monk. but I don't see that info.

Nimisgod: Such abilities usually don't stack.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Yes, they are intended to be Monk PrCs. Knight Otu is right, I totally forgot to add those basics in. Underpowered? Is that including the disciplines? Maybe I wasn't clear, but I plan to add the disciplines in as well. I don't think haste would stack with the ability for the reason that Knight Otu stated. I'm gonna go over all this again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Here's a chart listing at what level a single-classed character can satisfy the pre-requisites for Disciple of the Body. So the quickest way in is to be a ranger--5th level will get you in.

Code:
Class      Base  Concentration  Any two   Feats   Earliest
           Atk
Barbarian   4         13           5      3/1*       13**
Bard        6          5           5      3/1*       6**
Cleric      6          5          13      3/1***     13
Druid       6          5           5      3/1*       6
Fighter     4         13           5        1        13
Monk        6          5           5        1        6
Paladin     4          5          13      3/1*       13
Ranger      4          5           5      3/1*       5
Rogue       6         13           5      3/1*       13
Sorcerer    8          5          13      3/1*       13
Wizard      8          5          13      3/1*       13

* Minimum level to fulfill the feat pre-requisite for a
human character.
** Must change alignment to qualify for this prestige class
*** Minimum level to fulfill the feat pre-requisite for a
human cleric or any cleric with the War domain.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Here's a chart listing at what level a single-classed character can satisfy the pre-requisites for Disciple of Form. So the quickest way in is to be a monk or a bard who has become lawful--6th level will get you in.

Code:
Class      Base  Concentration  Any two   Feats   Earliest
           Atk
Barbarian   4         13          13      3/1*       13**
Bard        6          5           5      3/1*       6**
Cleric      6          5          13      3/1*       13
Druid       6          5          13      3/1*       13
Fighter     4         13          13      3/1*       13
Monk        6          5           5      3/1*        6
Paladin     4          5          13      3/1*       13
Ranger      4          5          13      3/1*       13
Rogue       6         13           5      3/1*       13
Sorcerer    8          5          13      3/1*       13
Wizard      8          5          13      3/1*       13

human character.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Here's a chart listing at what level a single-classed character can satisfy the pre-requisites for Disciple of Stamina. So the quickest way in is to be a paladin or ranger--5th level will get you in.

Code:
Class      Base  Concentration  Feats   Earliest
           Atk
Barbarian   4         13         3/1*       13**
Bard        6          5         3/1*       6**
Cleric      6          5         3/1*       6
Druid       6          5         3/1*       6
Fighter     4         13         3/1*       13
Monk        6          5         3/1*       6
Paladin     4          5         3/1*       5
Ranger      4          5         2/1*       5
Rogue       6         13         3/1*       13
Sorcerer    8          5         3/1*       8
Wizard      8          5         3/1*       8

human character.

Bront

The man with the probe
I want to give this a bump up. I like the concept, from waht I've read, the class looks interesting, but I have a few questions.

Where are the in LEW? Is there a temple or monistary that teaches this? Is it a cultural teaching in a particular region? I think you need some backstory for it.

Second, while I like monk being able to take this PrC and go back to normal, why Paladin? That doesn't seem to fit as much.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I was working on the mechanics first, once I had that all figured out, I figured I could give more attention to the fluff. I didn't quite abandon it, but I did let it sit because I've been kinda busy lately and just haven't sat down and worked on it.

As for your second question, I didn't feel like it was fair to the paladins. =P Really, I made the class with the monk in mind, but obviously it needs some tweaking in order to make it a "monk" prestige class. But I wanted it to be a bit broader than just "specialized monk", I kinda wanted a "specialized fighter with monk-like abilities" if you catch my drift.

Anyway, someone with more time on their hands can work on this, but I'm still really busy. I'll pick it up again some day, but not today. =P

azmodean

First Post
Actually I think the feats of constitution/dexterity are a bit overpowered. They're fine at lower levels, but at the upper end you can increase your dex by +10 for 10 rounds, on top of the +2 or +4 to the stat that is always active, and you can do it 10 times a day. It seems like it'd be easy to have it active for every single conflict. For a duelist or archer the Disciple of form is an extremely powerful option. It is somewhat mitigated by the medium bab progression.

I think the 5 level prc would be a good idea also, it mitigates the power of the 'feat' ability as written (+5 to stat for 5 rounds, useable 5 times a day), making it somewhat comprable to the rage ability.

The Disciple of Form could look like this with the abilities:
1st: Art of Form
2nd: Fast Movement +10'
3rd: Feat of Dexterity
4th: Discipline
5th: Precision +2

With a haste-like ability useable for x rounds/day being one of the choices for the discipline.

Remove ads