• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Posting 4E Questions for 4E Play-Tests?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
There are a lot of 4E threads lately, probably because many people are seeing signs that a 4th edition is around the corner. However, I wonder if there is a more insidious reason. Does anyone think it is possible, nay likely, that some of the posters asking for input on 4E are asking because they are currently PLAY-TESTING 4E? I think it is very possible. It is happening on WotC boards too.

Sejs

First Post
airwalkrr said:
There are a lot of 4E threads lately, probably because many people are seeing signs that a 4th edition is around the corner. However, I wonder if there is a more insidious reason. Does anyone think it is possible, nay likely, that some of the posters asking for input on 4E are asking because they are currently PLAY-TESTING 4E? I think it is very possible. It is happening on WotC boards too.

Not really. If they were playtesting, they'd be under strict NDA and gabbing about it would have swift and unpleasent reprocussions.

Doesn't fit, sorry.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Not necessarily. They are not gabbing about it by just talking about prospects for 4e, especially if they do not mention any ideas specifically proposed by the play-test rules. Erik Mona hinted at his project for months before we finally found out it was Castle Greyhawk (which many of us deduced ahead of time). They would be gabbing about it by saying "We are play-testing 4e, get ready for this!" or otherwise indicating in a somewhat definitive manner than 4e is on the table. As long as they phrase their posts as loose speculation, I doubt that would violate any nondisclosure agreement.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Wow, now THAT's paranoia.

Beloved Computer! :)
He's playtesting 4e, how would he otherwise know of 4e? :eek:
noone without ultraviolet access code in the alpha complex should know of 4e :mad:

Citizen, please enter your head into the meat grinder selective mind cleaning device to destroy all mutant communist residue of 4e.

Have a nice day :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
airwalkrr said:
There are a lot of 4E threads lately, probably because many people are seeing signs that a 4th edition is around the corner.
Most of these same people have been seeing 4E around the corner since 2003. You're giving it all a lot more weight than it deserves.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
MerricB has been seeing 4e around the corner since 2003?

My point is merely that other unlikely subjects have started to join the bandwagon.

Actuallly it doesnt sound that strange that WOTC would not be gathering Intel on what the public wants for a 4e by having certain people on certain boards post 4e topics to get the ball rolling down hill. Face it, it does seem like when one pops up (4e thread) more follow in a snowball like effect. Then maybe we have lurkers or guests who look at all the 4e topics to get a good idea on how the public feels.
So if that was the case wouldnt it be good for those that dont want 4e to actually post on all of these 4e threads saying No way to it?

Buy the way WOTC spy I DONT WANT 4E! Unless it's akin to 3e > 3.5 in changes.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Arashi Ravenblade said:
Actuallly it doesnt sound that strange that WOTC would not be gathering Intel on what the public wants for a 4e by having certain people on certain boards post 4e topics to get the ball rolling down hill.

To me it sounds outlandish. If it was ever revealed that this particular conspiracy theory is true then I'd be so surprised that I would spontaneolusly combust.

Sure, WotC gathering information from reading threads and asking not so obvious questions in an official capacity, I can see that.

Giving people the task to subersively start 4e threads so that WotC can gather information, no I can't see that.

/M

EyeontheMountain

First Post
So all the "What does XXX eat" threads means a food sourcebook is coming out? Didn't see it on the schedule at WOTC. Msut be 3rd party.

Seriously, once a topic comes up on these boards, it spawns other threads like crazy, add in all the cross board posters and it spreads around all over the place.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads