• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, Star Wars] The Vader/droid connection...

CWD

First Post
I can't believe I'm posting to this thread... Oh well.

Easy solution:

In Ep IV R2 and 3PO are on the ship with Leia at the beginning, right?

Obviously in Ep III Padme sends them to the Organa family along with her child, but wipes their memory so Leia's identity can't be compromised.

Tada!

Psion

Adventurer
CWD said:
In Ep IV R2 and 3PO are on the ship with Leia at the beginning, right?

Obviously in Ep III Padme sends them to the Organa family along with her child, but wipes their memory so Leia's identity can't be compromised.

Actually, that makes sense. Presuming Padme is still alive to do such a thing.

Actually, that is about the ONLY explanation that makes sense to me, because having them change hands several times in a galaxy with thousands of inhabited worlds and have their memories erased, and then end up back on Leia's ship and back on Lars' farm is just TOO much of a coincidence.

I still think 3p0 is too much of a coincidence either way. There was no reason to have had Anakin make him except to hype up his Crusher-factor, which I also could have lived without.

Voneth

First Post
I've read in plenty of places that Star Wars droids are supposed to get a memory erasure when they are bought by a new owner. It seems that when droids memories are allowed to culminate over time, they get personality glitches. My desktops have done the same thing -- if the frequecy of lockups counts as personality. :)

It also ensures that the droids have no previous loyalties. Jabba shows his most extreame arrogance by not having his two "gifts" mind wiped before taking them on his barge along with their previous owners. Hmmmm, good case study.

DWARF

First Post
Alright, so 10 years have passed since episode I, right? Then did no one notice the glaring error I did?! Shmii Skywalker is sold to Old Man Lars, who frees her and marries her. Now, if we assume that he freed and married her all in one day and concieved Owen Lars that same day.... then Owen Lars should be 9 years old in episode II. Right?

He sure didn't look 10 years old to me. He looked to be only a few years behind Anakin in age. I find it really sad that Lucas can't do math like that... oh well.

Corinth

First Post
Owen is Cliegg's son by his previous wife. Check the funeral scene again; there are three headstones, not one. Furthermore, Owen refers to Anakin as a stepbrother, not a half-brother. This makes clear that Owen is related to Anakin only by marriage.

Darklance

First Post
DWARF said:
Alright, so 10 years have passed since episode I, right? Then did no one notice the glaring error I did?! Shmii Skywalker is sold to Old Man Lars, who frees her and marries her. Now, if we assume that he freed and married her all in one day and concieved Owen Lars that same day.... then Owen Lars should be 9 years old in episode II. Right?

He sure didn't look 10 years old to me. He looked to be only a few years behind Anakin in age. I find it really sad that Lucas can't do math like that... oh well.

I did! All all I can say is: "Milk (of the bantha) it does a body good."

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
C3PO has a bad memory. This is clear from ANH. Luke asks him if he has been in battles, and 3PO replies "Several, I think. I'm not very good with such things." And that makes sense. As said, you wouldn't want a protocol droid with a good memory for the people they meet. In addition, Anakin builds him out of spare parts from a junk yard.

R2D2, on the other hand, seems to have a good memory (and is built by a royal family for their personal starship). He does remember Tatooine. When he and C3PO arrive on tatooine in ANH, R2D2 takes off right away. C3PO asks him where he is going, and why he seems so convinced that the village is that way (and then gets upset with him for being "technical"). Later, once on the Lars farm, R2D2 heads off asap to exactly where Obi-Wan lives. It's clear, now, that he knew where he was going. It's not like Leia had enough time (or even the knowledge) to instruct R2D2 on exactly the location of Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine. But she does seem to know that R2D2 knows the way, seeks him out, and gives R2D2 the death star plans, assigning him the mission to get them to Obi-Wan, R2D2's prior "master". In fact, it's even possible that the whole reason the droids are on the same ship as Liea in ANH is so they can lead her to Obi-Wan on Tatooine.

Squire James

First Post
All I can really confirm is that Vader didn't get to see CPO or R2D2 when the Falcon "visited" the Death Star. He had one good chance to see them, but he was clearly facing away from them and really busy fighting Obi-Wan at the time.

I've never seen Ep I (so call me a heretic), but hearing that Anakin made the two droids strains my suspension of disbelief a bit. It seems a Jedi has to be responsible for everything important, I guess (at least until a strange non-Jedi called Han Solo arrived at the scene, and who knows what he may be reverse-engineered into by the end of Ep III).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Squire James said:
I've never seen Ep I (so call me a heretic), but hearing that Anakin made the two droids strains my suspension of disbelief a bit. It seems a Jedi has to be responsible for everything important, I guess (at least until a strange non-Jedi called Han Solo arrived at the scene, and who knows what he may be reverse-engineered into by the end of Ep III).

Actually, the only droid made by a Jedi is C3PO (and unfinished at that). R2D2 seems to have been made on Naboo by a "normal" engineer as an astrometrics droid for a Naboo Corvette starship.

Remove ads