• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D Not so dire... OD&D giant animals

Sixten

First Post
While working on converting an OD&D module (X4), I've noticed that there are some gaps in the 3E monster inventory; where OD&D had some giant version of various animals, 3E tends only to have the base creature, and a dire version. In general, the dire creatures are probably too strong. So here are my versions of the giant bat, giant rat, and the large constrictor (which will sub in for the OD&D rock python). Comments & criticism welcome and encouraged. :)

Bat, Giant

Small Animal
HD: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +4 (Dex)
Speed: 10 ft., fly 40 ft. (good)
AC: 16 (+4 Dex, +1 size, +1 natural)
Attacks: Bite +1 melee
Damage: Bite 1d4-1
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Blindsight
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 5
Skills: Listen +10*, Move Silently +8, Spot +10*
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm desert, forest, hill, plains, and underground
Organization: Group (5-10) or colony (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -

Blindsight (Ex): Bats can "see" by emitting high-frequency sounds, inaudible to most other creatures, that allow them to locate objects and creatures within 120 feet. A silence spell negates this and forces the bat to rely on its weak vision, which has a maximum range of 10 feet.

Skills: *Bats receive a +4 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks. These bonuses are lost if Blindsight is negated.

Edit: formatting

Sixten

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Continuing on...

Rat, Giant

Small Animal
HD: 1/2 d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft., climb 15 ft.
AC: 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural)
Attacks: Bite +3 melee
Damage: Bite 1d3-3
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 3
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +15, Move Silently +8
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or Pack (3-18)
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Advancement: -

Skills: Rats receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks. They use their Dexterity modifier for Climb checks.

Edit: formatting

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Snake, Large Constrictor

Large Animal
HD: 6d8+6 (28 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
AC: 15 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural)
Attacks: Bite +8 melee
Damage: Bite 1d4+7
Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft. (coiled)/5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, constrict 1d4+7
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +16, Hide +8, Listen +9, Spot +9
Climate/Terrain: Warm forest and aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: 7-11 (Large), 12-18 (Huge)

Skills: These snakes receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide, Listen, and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus to Balance checks. They use their Strength modifier for Climb checks.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the constrictor snake must hit with its bite attack. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.

Constrict (Ex): A constrictor snake deals 1d4+7 points of damage with a successful grapple check against Medium-size or smaller creatures.

Sixten

Sixten

First Post
Here's another

This one had no 3E equivalent at all (until now!) ;)

Crab, Giant

Medium-size Vermin
HD: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: -1 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 18 (-1 Dex, +9 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +3 melee
Damage: Claw 1d6+3
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, squeeze
Special Qualities: Vermin
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 9, Con 11, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +4
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary or Group (1-6)
Challege Rating: 1
Advancement: 3-4 (Medium-size), 5-9 (Large)

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the giant crab must hit with a claw attack.

Squeeze (Ex): A giant crab that gets a hold automatically deals claw damage, with an additional 1d3 points of bludgeoning damage from the crushing force, each round the hold is maintained.

EDIT: CR = 1; damage, much better special attack rules

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
The large constrictor snake is already in the Monster Manual. Why not use that one?

PS. I like module conversions! Which one is X4? I can't remember...

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Really?

DnDChick said:
The large constrictor snake is already in the Monster Manual. Why not use that one?

Is it? If so, it's not in the SRD, which has only the constrictor and giant constrictor.

(Back when I bought the PHB and DMG, I decided not to bother with the MM, and just stick with the SRD; safer that way when writing OGC.)

PS. I like module conversions! Which one is X4? I can't remember...

Master of the Desert Nomads, wherein the PCs must journey across the Sind to find the Great Pass through the mountains, and discover more information about the mysterious monstrous army threatening to pour out of the desert.

I'd love your comments on the other thread I started about conversions of this module's "new" monsters, if you have the chance!

Sixten

Sixten

First Post
Max skill question

So, as part of going back and auditing my work for skill and DC mistakes, I noticed that a good number of animals and vermin in the SRD have skill bonuses greater than HD + 3. Now, many of these can be accounted for by racial bonuses (which I presume is the main reason for same). But not all.

So what's up? Did they forget to break out the racial bonus in some cases? Are the ability modifiers already added in or something? (Am I just going nuts? :) )

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Re: Max skill question

Edit: Ignore my answer from before...I misread your question. I will look into this for you.

:)

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Max skill question

Sixten said:
So, as part of going back and auditing my work for skill and DC mistakes, I noticed that a good number of animals and vermin in the SRD have skill bonuses greater than HD + 3. Now, many of these can be accounted for by racial bonuses (which I presume is the main reason for same). But not all.

I havent matched the MM and the SRD up for exactness, but check the MM first. They might not be listing everything in the SRD.

Also- check the MM errata (on my site). It does correct a lot of errors in the MM.

Sixten

First Post
Re: Re: Max skill question

Grazzt said:
Also- check the MM errata (on my site). It does correct a lot of errors in the MM.

Don't actually own the MM, though I may be able to borrow one.

I did print out the new MM errata, though, and I've been meaning to cross-check against the SRD, but I haven't gotten to it, yet.

Erica, if you do find out anything interesting, I'd love to know.

Remove ads