• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New psionic power- Astral Servant

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Someone said:
Modifying an astral construct's appearance it mostly a flavour thing, since the rules say that no matter how well sculpted they are the continue to be recognizable as astral constructs, so you can´t use them to impersonate someone, for example.
That's a good point.

I'm not sure if frequency of use is a valid point because everyone says, "it depends on the game," and some of the other +2-for-2-skills feats have some rarely used skills (IMO, at least), but if there's no mechanical benefit to the skill, then I don't know why it exists, but +2's or +10's are fine by me.

Someone

Adventurer
Ok, I think I like more the Astral Servant option than the feat. I added a couple things, and I believe is ready. Any comments? If it´s approved, I plan to take it with my next level, and I only need less than 1000 XP for it! :D

Dalamar

Adventurer
Well, there's the minor nitpick of me thinking that burrowing should be called Tunneling since it leaves behind a tunnel...

On a more serious note, I think a fly speed with average maneuverability could be included as a a C option, thus making it an expensive overland flight with style (and the possibility of mass transportation for the higher-end servants, but still).

Someone

Adventurer
I thought on that; the problem is that Psionic overland flight is a 6th level power and a personal power only. An Astral Servant as written with flight as a C menu option could create flying servants paying the equivalent power points of a 6th level power, with the advantage of being able to create servants for other party members, making it more powerful than psionic overland flight.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Right, I forgot that you moved the servants up a level.

Maybe add another augment which gives the option of choosing Flight as a C option?

Someone

Adventurer
That´s a valid option, though I don´t want to overcomplicate the power, and flight is a difficult to balance ability. I have another idea:

(part of Menu C:)

Flight: The construct has wings and can fly at a speed of 40 with average maneuverability. Since it must be lighter and less compact than other servants, it degrades quicker and power duration is reduced to 10 minutes/level.

The reduced duration would make it worse than flight powers and spells, while at the same time being useful. Thoughts?

Someone

Adventurer
Ok, I´m proposing now only the power. There´s one question to answer, if Boost construct is also valid for Astral servant or not (not by the strict wording of the feat, but still)

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'd say it would not be overpowered to do so but the rules say no. If you change about two words, you can make it work. At the beginning of the power, claim that "This power creates a special 2nd level astral construct called an astral servant."

Someone

Adventurer
Eh, that´s what I meant to, sorry. After all we´re making the power: what I was asking is if it would be overpowered to allow Boost construct to work with servants.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Someone said:
Eh, that´s what I meant to, sorry. After all we´re making the power: what I was asking is if it would be overpowered to allow Boost construct to work with servants.
Yeah, probably not. Here's an exercise that I don't have time to do--How ridiculously fast of a mount would I have if I summoned one of these guys with Boost Construct and dumped everything into Extra Speed except one Menu A in Quadruped (actually, maybe one in Run too for long overland trips, since it is a Construct and never gets tired so can be always running)? That could be interesting...I think it would go somewhere in the realm of 128-160 kilometres per hour.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads