• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

L1: Strange Doings (Erekose13 Judging)

Amaury

First Post
"Uh?..." Jallembo says as he tries to hear the laughter Ximix is talking of, but he cannot hear it.

However he reacts immediately, and leaving his study of the room, he walks quietly to the side of the door, readying himself to attack any threat that may turn up from the staircase.

[sblock=DM]Listen (1d20=4)
move silently (1d20+9=24)[/sblock]

Animus

Explorer
Garrit Kelspire, Paladin 2 of Hyrag

Ximix said:
"I believe this entire area may have been dedicated to the study of Necromancy. It certainly fits what I know of the kingdom that these writings ... did you hear that?"
Ximix turns back towards the stairs, and the cells below. "I heard crazed laughter and . . . something else. Make yourselves ready for attack from the rear!" Ximix, his sword and shield already on guard, turns to face the door and stairs below...
Follow this up with some more rolling!
[sblock=DM]WOW! Listen=19 and Spot=20 Checks[/sblock]

As the half orc examines the carcass and the skeleton, he is alerted by Ximix's warning. He puts away his mace and draws his longsword, looking in the direction of Ximix.

Erekose13

Explorer
Just before Ximix's warning, Jallembo moves behind the statue to get a better look at the skeleton slumped over in the chair. From here he can't tell if it ever wore a necklace. It isn't now.

[Surprise Round]

A seething black mist rises up the stairwell behind Manon and Razin. From out of the mist the ghoulish creature you met before in the cell extends out to bite at the young rogue. Luckily for Manon, it misses narrowly as he moves to the side.

From behind the ghoul comes another similar creature, this one looks similar to a troglodyte though it's pallor and enlarged mouth filled with dozens of pointed teeth suggest it has been changed into some undead monstrosity as well. It too steps beyond the door at the top of the stairs. An extremely foul stench follows it and Manon and Razin begin retching at the disgusting smell.

Ximix goes here.
Then Garrit.
Then Manon.

[Round 1]

NE Ghoul
Troglodyte thing
Jallembo
Razin
Ximix
Garrit
Manon

[sblock=ooc]Razin and Manon are affected by the Trog's stench and are at -2 to attacks and checks. They are next to the stairs from which the two undead have ascended. Ximix and Garrit are over near the statue about 25' from the stair case (and the undead). Jallembo is on the other side of the statue.

Damage Recap
Jallembo 5/5 - 1 Con
Garrit 19/19 - 1 Con - 3 Non-lethal
Ximix 7/7 - 1 Con
Razin 11/11 - 1 Con - 3 Non-lethal
Manon 7/7 - 2 Con
hp current/max have been adjusted due to the con damage. [/sblock]

Amaury

First Post
"Holy whore! Where did they come from?? Quick, retreat! Let's block them at the staircase!" shouts Jallembo.

[sblock=DM]ok then, ahead of my turn, Jallembo will ready himself with his shortbow to shoot at the undead if the emerge from the staircase. +3 to hit.[/sblock]

Ximix

First Post
A seething black mist rises up the stairwell behind Manon and Razin. From out of the mist the ghoulish creature you met before in the cell extends out to bite at the young rogue. Luckily for Manon, it misses narrowly as he moves to the side.

From behind the ghoul comes another similar creature, this one looks similar to a troglodyte though it's pallor and enlarged mouth filled with dozens of pointed teeth suggest it has been changed into some undead monstrosity as well. It too steps beyond the door at the top of the stairs. An extremely foul stench follows it and Manon and Razin begin retching at the disgusting smell.

Ximix goes here:
The Elven priest faces the undead, lifts his sword high and speaks clearly in Elvish: "e'i'Essaen' Gliran, Amin Naia Guinakel!"

[sblock=DM]Turn Undead = 18 :) , Turning Dmg = 10 :( Translation: ' in the Name of Gliran, I Command Undead to go away! ' [/sblock]
Then Garrit.
Then Manon.

Amaury said:
"Holy whore! Where did they come from?? Quick, retreat! Let's block them at the staircase!" shouts Jallembo.

OOC: If I understand, both undead are at the top of the stairs already. The only reason I raise this is that you mention retreat, then blocking the staircase, which they have already topped and entered the room with us.
We could retreat into the room with the skeleton, if Manon and Razin recover sufficiently to get out of there. Then again maybe at least one of them will flee from my Turn and our tactics will alter to suit. I'm not excited about going into the unexplored room with the skelly for that matter!

Erekose13

Explorer
[Surprise Round, Con't]

Ximix calls on the power of his diety. The two ghouls stand their ground in the face of divine will.

~Paused~
Garrit
Manon

[Round 1]

NE Ghoul
Troglodyte thing
Jallembo
Razin
Ximix
Garrit
Manon

[sblock=ooc]The two ghouls have gained entry to the room at the top of the stairs. They stand in the two squares adjacent to the door. Manon is in front of the black mist ghoul, and Razin is in front of the trog.

Oh for Action Points or Level 2. With an 18, you get Level + 2 = 3. Ghouls have turn resistance +2... doh.

Damage Recap
Jallembo 5/5 - 1 Con
Ximix 7/7 - 1 Con
Razin 11/11 - 1 Con - 3 Non-lethal
Manon 7/7 - 2 Con

Ximix

First Post
Amaury said:
[sblock=OOC]will be out on hols from 1st till 12th August...[/sblock]

Could we possibly get some movement on this please, Manon is an NPC, then the monsters, then Jallembo and Razin are up, I'd rather not wait two weeks on the edge of our first (last?) major battle . . .

Erekose13

Explorer
[Surprise Round, Con't]

As Garrit approaches the trog ghoul he is overwhelmed by the wretched scent of the thing. He manages to fight off the revulsion though and continue his charge, slamming into it with his sword.

Manon has trouble seeing through tear stained eyes, missing his opponent.

[Round 1]

The black mist ghoul attacks Manon rending him with it's claws. The rogue falls to it's feet, blood flowing freely.

The troglodyte ghoul attacks Razin, hitting him just slightly with one of it's claws. The fighter goes rigid with paralysis.

~Action Paused~

Jallembo
Razin - paralyzed
Ximix
Garrit
Manon - bleeding

[sblock=ooc]sorry for the delay, extended family weekend got the better of me. should be able to keep up the pace. I'll npc your character Amaury through the end if necessary. And yes this is the final climactic battle.

Damage Recap
Jallembo 5/5 - 1 Con
Ximix 7/7 - 1 Con
Razin 7/11 - 1 Con - 3 Non-lethal - paralyzed
2rds
Manon -3/7 - 2 Con - bleeding

EDIT: updated init listing to correct that it was Razin who was paralyzed.

Last edited:

Remove ads