• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is there a shift toward 4E in the community ?

pogre

Legend
I'm ready. I assume they are going to go further down the using minis road, which I appreciate. I don't really get the fear associated with 4E. You can always play an older incarnation of the game - just ask Diaglo.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I don't know about a 4th edition, but we could sure use some consolidation and updating of the current D&D 3.5. With the change to polymorph and the addition of Swift and Immediate actions, it would be nice to see some of the information consolidated into a single book. That polymorph eratta really pissed me off. The idea that the are trying to update all the books I've already purchased with online eratta is annoying to say the least.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Aloïsius said:
Yet Another 4E Thread. However, my question is more about the D&D community, and especialy the various messageboards. I wonder if there is not a change in the community attitude toward 4E, from "fear and disgust" to "resignation" or even "impatience".
Not from us po' commonfolk, just the rich and/or spoiled elitists in the community that can defecate currency out of their rears.

:] :] :] :] :]

Whisper72

Explorer
Definately not. I have so much 3.X stuff, it'll last me a lifetime. I think this is true for most ppl. also, it is now much easier to get both third party stuff and to get secondhand stuff nowadays, so the availability is not likely to dry up any time soon, so new players can get ahold of old material easily and cheaply. I quite frankly think that the best way forward for WotC is to grow the hobby in its entirety, selling more of the same books to more ppl and to have a 'consolidated, best of..' version come out. A real 4th edition is going to bomb IMHO in the current structure of the marketplace.

Bront

The man with the probe
I agree that 4th Ed will likely be a simple compilation of some of the new 3.5 Ed stuff with a few minor tweeks. They can't make it too incompatable or else it will turn of a lot of people (And with the public SRD, people can always use the old rules as they're publicly accessable). If they do that, they'll probably not have a huge backlash, and depending on the fixes, it might just be like another alternate system (or leave 3.5 as an alternate system to the new 4.0).

Staffan

Legend
Bront said:
I agree that 4th Ed will likely be a simple compilation of some of the new 3.5 Ed stuff with a few minor tweeks.
I want two things for 4th ed:

1: Not to come out until 2008 at the earliest.
2: To be more akin to 2nd ed than 3rd ed. By this I mean that it should be more of an evolution of the game than a revolution. 2e was quite similar to 1e, with some things cleaned up (in multiple respects, some good and some bad). That's what I want to see for 4e: a cleaned-up version of 3e. And include swift/immediate actions in the core rules, dammit, so you don't have to waste half a page in each sourcebook defining them over and over again.

glass

(he, him)
I do want to see a fourth edition eventually, but I don't want to see it any time soon. Which is OK, 'cause I'm sure we'll see it evenutally, but I'm pretty sure it won't be any time soon.

glass.

Remove ads