• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Is there a shift toward 4E in the community ?

Turanil

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
My feeling is that there won't be a sudden new edition, but instead a gradual evolution of rules additions/expansions/variants until they decide to release new core books consolidating the best of them into a "new" set of rules that will still be mostly compatible with the current set.

Perhaps it is only wishful thinking...
Seems a good guess to me.

Brakkart

First Post
No desire for a 4th edition here either. I like the modular nature of 3.5 and considering how many books I've got (and how little comparatively I've used from them) I can't see me changing system even if they do release it. 3.5 works just fine for me and my group. If anything, a 4th edition would save me money each month, as both Dragon and Dungeon would change to cover it and I wouldn't need to buy them anymore, not to mention the savings on books (though those would come later after I'd picked up 3.5 books I'd not already bought).

Gold Roger

First Post
There is a shift, of about 0.001 % altogether. It's to early jet. Eventually a new edition will come. Aditudes will very slowly shift till there's more anticipation than antipathy towards a new edition.

I hope wotc is clever enough to time things so the release overlaps with need for it.

Razuur

First Post
Not at all. Not even moving a micron towards it.

I agree with the poster above that said that the decisions made in 4e will probably take it even further away from my style of gaming...

And who knows if there will even be a D20 with 4e, which will be the death knell as all I buy are third party products.

Razuur

Nomad4life

First Post
The only reason I was looking forward to a 4th edition was in the hope that it would be a more streamlined rules-lite game, with the tactical/wargame/minis aspect not as integrated into the core rules (so that they would be easier to remove entirely.)

Since that time, I’ve gotten ahold of True20 and C&C... So my wait is already over. I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t really “need” a 4th edition of D&D, since my problems with 3.X have already been addressed in the wake of the “rules-lite renaissance.”

So no. No longing for 4th edition here. Or 5th. Or 6th. Etc...

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Desire for 4th Edition? Rather the fear of 4th Edition, because it could be a smash into the face of the OGL.

Currently, the d20 System is good - very good, and Wizards even produces quite good supplemental books, and I'm happy with AU/AE, but I can still butcher the Wizards books for ideas/some crunch... and Eberron looks quite good (but I dislike campaign settings... so...)

Personally: No to 4th Edition!

Graf

Explorer
I have to go against the flow: Yes.

Compared to any point in the past people are more for the new edition than they were; this trend is going to continue.

…every time someone starts a thread about “too many base classes” or “too many options” it’s a sign the collective consciousness is shifting.

Personally I think we’re still further off than most people (or at least a those who feel like it’s a gun pointed at their head), the economics reward Wizards taking their time and I don’t think Hasbro is going to cut off the cash flow for a while yet; they still haven’t produced a lot of books that people want to buy (collection of feats, updated Epic stuff, more Eberron, etc).

Having said that it is possible that the designers have lots of new ideas for improving parts of the rules and want to write a new version (I mean… if you worked at Wizards wouldn’t you want to write a new version of DnD and get to be the next Monte Cook?); certainly the appearance of critical (and in some cases virtually nonsensical*) articles about the current ruleset on the wizard’s site suggest a trend in that direction.
*=I think the 4 part polymorph article actually made me stupider.

But, yes, the community is much more –for- the 4th edition than they were before.

Remove ads