• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is it worth making a thread over?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I occasionally make threads about things that I'm curious about, or find interesting, but given the sheer volume of threads on there, today I'm curious why there isn't some kind of general purpose thread for questions that might not require a full thread for.

Have you ever had a question that doesn't fit in a particular thread, that you didn't feel was worth a thread of it's own? I've quite a few, myself! Feel free to share!

As your query is not just a 5e or D&D concern, you might consider re-posting here:

MarkB

Legend
The problem is that, no matter how trivial the question, it won't be proof against devolving into a 20-page argument in which the same 2-3 opinions are stated and re-stated in minor variations. So, if you set up a "simple miscellaneous questions" thread, the difficulty will be in picking out the relevant questions and answers amidst the noise.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Tbh, I don't worry too much about a topic being worth it. The cost of starting a thread is so low -- basically the same as replying to a post -- that I don't really see it being any more "worth" it to start a one on a "small" topic as on a "big" topic. I know I personally have started threads that only drew a couple responses yet answered my question just fine without 20 pages of input. (And tbh, that's much more helpful than slogging through a thousand posts by a couple dozen commenters arguing past one another on a handful of tangents irrelevant to the OP.)

If a thread gets legs and keeps on going for a several+ pages, great. If it just draws a couple answers then slides off the front page, also great. Either way, the forum is working as intended, afaict.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I occasionally make threads about things that I'm curious about, or find interesting, but given the sheer volume of threads on there, today I'm curious why there isn't some kind of general purpose thread for questions that might not require a full thread for.

Have you ever had a question that doesn't fit in a particular thread, that you didn't feel was worth a thread of it's own? I've quite a few, myself! Feel free to share!
Not creating a separate thread means it'll be harder for people with the answer to find your question, both forum regulars and people searching via Google/DuckDuckGo later on.

Pedantic

Legend
The problem is that, no matter how trivial the question, it won't be proof against devolving into a 20-page argument in which the same 2-3 opinions are stated and re-stated in minor variations. So, if you set up a "simple miscellaneous questions" thread, the difficulty will be in picking out the relevant questions and answers amidst the noise.
I'll start the process: Threads are like classes, in general it's better to have more of them to more accurately reflect a variety of questions than to try and shoehorn more into less.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This question doesn't warrant a thread of its own. :p

Seriously, though, yes. I have had lots of small questions that don't really warrant threads.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If it's not worth a thread of its own, and doesn't fit into another current thread, do you really have a question or a discussion topic? I would submit: no, you clearly don't and you know it.

niklinna

satisfied?

This function is handled in Modern Times by Discord. :(

Remove ads