• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Doc barely acknowledged the entry of the two new people; the bearded half-man introduced as Prince Gimlak and the snake-man called Duvrael. People are strange, when you're a stranger.

He began to feel that slight discomfort, that pull from the Nameless Sheriff moving him on. Doc pulled out a flask and took a sharp slug of it, before his baleful eyes fell upon the Colonel. Prayer ain't worth spit without the gumption to back it. Looking back at the rest of rest of motley group that had assembled, he almost smiled.

This will be different.

Last I heard, the black hats don't off themselves when we're sitting on our hands.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"A wizard will make an excellent addition to our forces. You are most welcome, Duvrael." said Lord Falldur.

Duvrael Oolo arrived as Lord Falldur was about to give up hope that any more were coming. His arrival also happened to be very close to the time that his scouts had returned from the steading reporting, "The giants must have raided a trade caravan earlier today. A group returned carrying food, barrels of ale, and a dead horse. They will by now have started a feast!"

It would be the beginnings of dusk by the time the group reached the Steading, but if they were to leave now, they might find the Giants just finishing their party. Many would be drunk or weary. Fights could break out among them. Now might be the perfect time to begin.

"What say you, my friends?" asked the old Knight with a glint in his eye, "Will you venture this evening to test your mettle against the giants?"

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
With a thoughtful look on his face Kaligan says, "You make an excellent point my Lord. With luck they will also be drunk." With a quick glance at those adventurers still remaining side, Kaligan steps through the doorway to join those who are ready to go. "One of the scouts should show us the path that they took, since it seems to be an effective one. What say you Lord Falldur? Can you spare a scout to show us the path?" Kaligan calmly awaits the answer to his question.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"My scouts have been watching the steading in four-hour shifts," said Lord Falldur, "I can send the two who would have replaced these two with you now. You can use them as runners, if you need anything from me. I expect that you understand that a direct assault on the steading would be futile. My men and I will hold this cairn for a refuge for you to retreat to, and we can cover your retreat should need arise. We are at your service, to be called when needed."

He presented two scouts: A middle-aged sailor named Cromby, and a woman dressed in practical riding clothes named Siersha.

Cromby told them, "It's two miles t'the steadin' as the crow flies, but it's more like three by the winding trails. And 'tis rough land t'boot. Our girl Siersha here is th'only one who can safely make it on horseback, without breakin' the horse's ankle or bein' thrown off the saddle."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Donnell here has directions from Lord Faldur." He motions to the boy beside him, o appears scared, despite his armor and preparations. "I would say a prayer before we leave, for those who wish to join me. The Skyfather will be with us regardless. There is no escaping Him."

He looks for those who wish to come into the open air with him, but if he's alone, that's fine.
Gimlak says. "I will join you in prayer. I do not know your god, but since you are here, he must be one of the good ones. I hope you will tell me about him as we travel. I will pray to Moradin"

"My scouts have been watching the steading in four-hour shifts," said Lord Falldur, "I can send the two who would have replaced these two with you now. You can use them as runners, if you need anything from me. I expect that you understand that a direct assault on the steading would be futile. My men and I will hold this cairn for a refuge for you to retreat to, and we can cover your retreat should need arise. We are at your service, to be called when needed."

He presented two scouts: A middle-aged sailor named Cromby, and a woman dressed in practical riding clothes named Siersha.

Cromby told them, "It's two miles t'the steadin' as the crow flies, but it's more like three by the winding trails. And 'tis rough land t'boot. Our girl Siersha here is th'only one who can safely make it on horseback, without breakin' the horse's ankle or bein' thrown off the saddle."

"I can summon a flying creature and slowly make the flight, but it can only take me. Three miles is walking distance if we have to"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not being very religious himself, Kaligan observes the prayer from a polite distance. When the prayer is done and we are ready to go, Kaligan responds to Gimlak, "It may take longer on foot, but stealth is the priority I think. Horses can be heard at a distance, and those in the air are seen easily from even farther away. Besides, it takes a skilled rider to make it there on horseback and I'm far from skilled."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Siersha said, "I will bring my horse, Ionn. It's an hour's walk (and I will walk him there), but if you need a message delivered to Lord Falldur, I can make it back in ten minutes, even in the dark. Ionn knows the way now, we have done the trip a dozen times."

She stated it as if it were simple fact, with no intent to brag.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The prayer to the Skyfather is a short affair. The Colonel appreciates the interest shown by his new companions, to whatever degree it is shown. With his head down, and his fist in the air, the Colonel prays for support.

Its not that his words are threatening the divinity, but they are demanding, expecting support and empowerment and challenging the lack of intervention that characterizes his divinity's behaviour, but insisting that he, the Colonel, along with this group, would be taking the divine power they need and using it for good. The group will take the power they want, and give it a shape, moulding it for their appointed purpose.

As he prays, his voice becomes deeper, louder. Those who are with him can feel the ground shaking slightly.

He offers no thanks, and makes no requests. Instead, he demands an audience and expects to be heard. The language is sometimes violent but is still formulaic. It is a defiant prayer, but one that is answered by the sound of a clap of distant thunder as the ground stills.

WIth that, he looks at his companions. His voice is back to what it had been, when he says, "There. Shall we be off? I'm on foot, and the raiding giants will not always be drunk."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Gimlak says. "I will join you in prayer. I do not know your god, but since you are here, he must be one of the good ones. I hope you will tell me about him as we travel. I will pray to Moradin"
"The Skyfather is neither good nor bad -- he is raw, unbounded power. And we can take from him. I just think it's wise to be polite when we do. As for good? That's up to us."

Remove ads