• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

homemade tiles

teitan

Legend
I was wondering if there were any tutorials for making WOTC style dungeons and terrain tiles and also what are people's experiences with the 3d paper terrain. Which are most cost effective etc?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Fatdragongames are the most cost effective for 3d. Skeletonkeygames for 2d. You should be able to find a lot of free tiles on line. I own both, plus also tiles and 3d terrain from worldworksgames. I have both the pre-made terrain from them(very expensive), and the print your own. The maiden is the best card stock ever made.

M

MrKen

I use a varity of terrain inmy games. While I use and have used 2D stuff, I vastly prefer 3D. In the beginning I would build my own and still find my home made stuff is better, it does take more time. The paper craft stuff does have a bit of a price most of the time, though there is some free stuff out there.

My favorite 3D paper craft is the World Works Games stuff. Why? Because it is very modular and packs up very well, and can be reused in so many different ways. The boxed stuff is similarly awesome, except there is no time used to print and build, but it does build fast and is quite durable. I like Fat Dragon as well, but, it does not pack up as well, but is maybe more durable. I also like Dave Graffam stuff, but there are no interiors. Ebbles stuff is pretty awesome for Sci-fi which I almost never play anymore.

The stuff I have built is still being used 15 years later. Doubt any of my paper craft stuff will last that long, but some of it might since I take very good care of it. The

The cost of paper craft stuff can get up there with the printing, and the time needed to build, but like WWG stuff, I have the sets and can print out two more wall sections when I find I need them. The cost of the paper and the ink must be figured into the cost of owning as well as the blades and rulers and glue etc.

I used to be a fan of the hard plastic tiles, as long as it wasn't me carrying them around, and woe to anyone who might drop a piece on the floor.In the

end, go with what works for you. I really like the paper craft, but love the stuff I build myself.

Lest anyone

teitan

Legend
I like 3d terrain but I don't have the minis I used to have. I want to make my own tiles which is why I am looking for a tutorial on that. Eventually, my funds & fiance willing I was t to get back into minis with reaper bones minis and my left over d&d minis and 3d terrain. I think paper craft would be better for city and wilderness, boats etc than plaster and hirst molds.

teitan

Legend
I like 3d terrain but I don't have the minis I used to have. I want to make my own tiles which is why I am looking for a tutorial on that. Eventually, my funds & fiance willing I was t to get back into minis with reaper bones minis and my left over d&d minis and 3d terrain. I think paper craft would be better for city and wilderness, boats etc than plaster and hirst molds.

M

MrKen

When I play wilderness adventures I take and old army blanket, clamp it to the table, put on some floating terrain I made with cardboard with a few trees, maybe a few rocks, apply some spackling, and some green flock. They match the green blanket very close. For bushes and under growth I use this green plant material I found at Hobby Lobby that looks like bushes. Later I found some sheets of cork that I cut to look like roads and paths and I have all the outdoor adventures set up.

tangleknot

Explorer
Search theDMscraft on youtube. He shows you how to make very cheap/ cool looking terrain/ dungeon tiles for your games. You can also search youtube for other tutorials from other GM-crafters, Ive seen some neat things made from styrofoam.

M

MrKen

Check out the floating stuff on my facebook page Terrainforbattle It is very easy to make. What I started out making when I knew nothing.

Remove ads