• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Gencon and 4E

Merlion

First Post
Given current trends I'd put it anywhere from 2008 to 2012. No later than that certainlly. Thats assuming WOTC keeping the brand and all.

Its true that theres usualy large gaps of time between editions, but its also true that D&D has never been owned by a single company, especially a huge one like Hasbro for that long.

Also, Hasbro thinks in terms of MTG and Pokemon. Put out new sets as frequently as possible to keep people buying. I think they try to put some of that on D&D

That being said, I dont really care about timing, only quality. a 4th edition would almost certainlly be d20, and if it improves upon the problems still existant in D&D (there are plenty) and especially if it sacrifices some of the sacred cows that have needed slaughtering for so long I dont care when they put it out and would probably buy it (or at least the PH) as soon after or at the release as I had the money to do so (even tho I dont really play currently).

Of course maybe thats part of why. Since I am not in an ongoing game and rarely get to play, I dont really have to worry about being "forced" into changing over. And I enjoy reading RPG products even if I dont use them.

However, if it retains all the sacred cows I will be VERY annoyed.

William Ronald

Explorer
Merlion, what sacred cows do you think should go? Also, which do you think should remain? What elements of the rules makes Dungeons and Dragons what it is, and which are not essential to the game's identity? (I would argue that character classes and levels are likely to remain in any future edition.)

I realize this is a very specualtive thread, but it might be a good vehicle to discuss some of our likes and dislikes about the current rules?

pogre

Legend
I'm ready to buy 4E now - release nine corebooks all at once - heck make a corebook for every base class - priced at $39.99. I'm ready! My wallet is out!

Seriously, I'm buying it as soon as it comes out and so are you. Don't lie - you know you are ;)

Zulithe

Explorer
For some time I've figured WotC would use unleash D&D 4.0 in 2007 but I have changed my mind. I don't think they will do it this early. There is just far too much negative reaction anytime the mere CONCEPT of 4.0 is brought up. Plus, the 3.x edition supplements keep pouring out of WotC's D&D sect at a pace that makes the development of 4.0 seem unlikely.

I still think it will come this decade. Just not in 2007.

How long was 3E in development? Over a year, wasnt it? I figure they might have some ideas already but nothing is actively being worked on. If I were WotC, I would begin heavy work on 4E in 2007 and fine-tune it for 18 months.

I believe this is the only 4E thread here at EnWorld that I've participated in, so, just wanted to share my thoughts on it...

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Zulithe said:
For some time I've figured WotC would use unleash D&D 4.0 in 2007 but I have changed my mind. I don't think they will do it this early. There is just far too much negative reaction anytime the mere CONCEPT of 4.0 is brought up. Plus, the 3.x edition supplements keep pouring out of WotC's D&D sect at a pace that makes the development of 4.0 seem unlikely.

I still think it will come this decade. Just not in 2007.

How long was 3E in development? Over a year, wasnt it? I figure they might have some ideas already but nothing is actively being worked on. If I were WotC, I would begin heavy work on 4E in 2007 and fine-tune it for 18 months.

I believe this is the only 4E thread here at EnWorld that I've participated in, so, just wanted to share my thoughts on it...

If I recall, some preliminary planning was being done in late 1998 and early 1999 before TSR went belly up.

Zulthe, I think find tuning any major supplement let alone a new edition is a good idea. I have seen a few typographical errors and some things in products that made me scratch my head.

LeifVignirsson

First Post
I was always of the opinion that WotC/Hasbro is seeing the cash cow starting to fall to its knees. As much as it works all right for us, the player, it might not be the same for the bottom line for Hasbro. Heck, with the onslaught of people that bought 3.5 when it came out, perhaps they are using this as a measuring stick to gauge reaction.

Do i think they will scrap OGL? Nope, it is rock solid and well done. Do I think they will relase a "seperate edition" that is all Non-OGL and involves some sort of special markers (figures, special loaded dice, whatever)? Yeah, I do. Much like what Sony did with PS1 and PS2, Microsoft will do with XBox to the XBox 360... Heck, even when Nintendo did the NES to SNES to the N64, they supplied the two platforms for a while, slowly shutting off the resources to the old to concentrate on the new.

Should it be like the video game industry? No way! That is what makes this hobby refreshing, something that I love. Can it be? That is up to the figureheads in Hasbro. I can see them doing this, pressing workers and consumers to do this because "If it works for Sony, it can work for Hasbro"...

I am retiring whenever 4E comes out anyway, I am too old to be keeping up with the young bucks and getting everything out there. :D

Hussar

Legend
Well, we know pretty much for sure that 4e won't be hitting next year. When 3.5 came out, we had a year of warning beforehand. 2007? Not likely. Too much being released in 2006. 08 or 09? Now that's probably possible. But, again, unless there are some REALLY major changes, such as there was between 2e and 3e, I can't see it having the impact that 3e did. 3e and now 3.5 is fairly well done. They've certainly patched and spackled most of the holes that existed.

Really, I think what you might see is more books like the Special Edition PHB. Rereleases of core books including errata and new formats. Much cheaper to develop and probably far better on the bottom line than trying to create an entirely new edition. Sure, you don't get the older players to buy the new books, but, then again, older players buy the supplements. To get new players to become old players, shiny new packaging works fairly well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads