• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Full - Waiting for complete characters] Loex’edar: The Dragon War

Shayuri

First Post
Doh...I was gonna post a long time ago that it might be a better idea to sorta...abstract the flying combat rather than try to keep detailed meticulous notes on it. It's just too much otherwise.

Sigh. The tragedy. Maybe one day...

Wrahn

First Post
Well, we have already driven away 2 GMs, it may be best to just let it die. In anycase, now (the holidays) probably isn't the best time to recruit one.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Shayuri said:
Doh...I was gonna post a long time ago that it might be a better idea to sorta...abstract the flying combat rather than try to keep detailed meticulous notes on it. It's just too much otherwise.

Sigh. The tragedy. Maybe one day...
I kind of like that idea, actually.

Maybe it's best if we try to recruit a GM in about a few weeks?

Wrahn said:
Well, we have already driven away 2 GMs, it may be best to just let it die. In anycase, now (the holidays) probably isn't the best time to recruit one.

I will point out that scout told us that internet access would be spotty to non-existant in his new home - so we had warning, and I don't blame that on the game. :)

Jdvn1 said:
I kind of like that idea, actually.

Maybe it's best if we try to recruit a GM in about a few weeks?

Sounds like a good idea to me. :)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I am weary, though, that the aerial combat is too much for PbP. I mean, Flitterdust certainly isn't a major combatant, so maybe it is confusing to me because I don't really have to worry about it so I don't use it. Before we recruit a new DM/GM I think we should all ask Tailspinner's opinion since he was keeping track of everything anyway. We might want to be more abstract ... but that seems like it could just lead to a bunch of confusion and hurt feelings because it is so hard to describe.

I'm not suggesting we let it die - cause I love my character concept! - but I think we do need to solve the dilemma of aerial combat before going forward - or at least talk about it.

I vote for more abstract - frankly, the diagrams were rather confusing to me as well, and considering most of our fly speeds, I think we can move to more story-driven combat and just assume that we can reach our target in X rounds without having to map everything out.

G

Guest 11456

Aerial combat is just like normal combat but with an extra dimension. Keeping track of the combat was really quite simple once a common coordinate system had been laid down. I figured you would be able to do the same being a former math teacher, Nonlethal Force. Perhaps a happy median would be for me or someone to keep track of the combat but describe it more then show a map. I have no trouble figuring out three dimentional space. But I has a good spacial sense.

An example might be:

DM: After Zathros completes his maneuver he is facing the club wielding dragonkin, the divine caster is about 40 feet away and a bit lower...

Tailspinner: Zathros turns nose down and dives as far as he can this round. He is travelling at full down speed...

No map is shown just description. If anyone requests further description, the DM can give it.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Tailspinner said:
I figured you would be able to do the same being a former math teacher, Nonlethal Force. Perhaps a happy median would be for me or someone to keep track of the combat but describe it more then show a map. I have no trouble figuring out three dimentional space. But I has a good spacial sense.

That's why I said that because Flitterdust was not a combatant I never really paid too much attention to it. I could have easily made sense of it if I needed to - heck, if I can do integral calculus in three dimensions I better be able to follow and X,Y,Z graph! :) It wasn't so much that I couldn't do it - more like my character never really forced me to follow it too much.

You know ... like being able to find the inverse of a Matrix by hand after you learn that a computer/calculator can do it for you! If you don't use it ... it doesn't come as naturally.

But, I did sense that it confused some of the other players. And please don't take that as a cut, Tailspinner. I was honestly impressed at how quickly you were able to keep up with the three-dimensional shifting going on. Very well done, and I mean that!

Edit: Actually, though, there was one thing I did kinda have difficulty with. If grappling meant free-fall ... and gravity is 32 ft per second squared ... then distance equals (1/2)(acceleration)(time squared). That makes the distance fallen (in feet) in one round equal to (1/2)(32)(36). Or, 16 times 36 = 576 feet. That's in one round. Of course, this is assuming a stall at the top and it doesn't take into account terminal velocity according to the friction created by a falling body through the air. Did we follow that progression ... or is gravity lighter in this world! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads